Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

How did you get into it?

Questions in here...

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

How did you get into it?

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:56 pm

This is a question for everyone and especially for AWPFanfromNZ, as I'm interested to know how people found it.

How did you get into the show?
Did you get it straight away, the joy of the lads?
Did you watch 1 episode and then another straight of, or did it take a while to get into?

DS

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Re: How did you get into it?

Post by Tracy » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:14 pm

Saw it advertised. Watched it. Clicked from Dearest Brenda. Could hardly understand a word but it made no difference. Hooked from first sight !

AWPfanfromNZ
Boozer
Boozer

Post by AWPfanfromNZ » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:53 am

Naturally watched it with my Mum (even though I was young and didn't understand it well). Watched it from episode 3 - because that is where my Dad taped it from (but it wasn't until Mum bought the series DVDs that we could watch everything we missed - and it's still hard to watch the episodes we hadn't seen because we were so used to watching what we taped!!). I really got into it in my early teenage years since I was older and could understand it better - but was totally hooked!! Loved the boys!! It's only just recently that I have got back into it because of the adolescent/music/"I'm too cool" years took over me along with tertiary study commitments too. Buy proud to love it!! :D
Happy Days!! :D :D

Andrew
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Andrew » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:55 pm

I remember watching the first series when I was about ten, I loved it straight away. It was the second series I remember the most, I thought it was brilliant. Although it was the last episode I had to wait years to watch( I can't remember if it was on video or channel four). We had a family holiday to Minorca, so I set the tape to record it as we were going to be away when it was on. When I got home to my horror I realised it hasn't recorded, I've made up for it now as I've watched the final episode many times.

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:38 pm

As much as the series started in the 80's.. i still only vaguely remember seeig brief bits of series 1 when it was on.. my mum came round the other day and i put the big baz scene on where he gets nutted to show her who i did a video with in february.. i then asked her if we had AWP on at home much... she said she only really remembered it being advertised now and then but doesnt recall watchng it much... (most likely arguing with my dad) as times then were on and off... for me, it mainly started back in the late 90's.. around 98.. Videos of Series 1 and 2 adorned my Girlfriend at the time, shelves in her brothers room.. as if i stayed over her mum preferred us sleeping in different rooms.. her brother was hardly ever there.. as he had a new mrs he was with alot.. i would get through all episodes, then start again.. then keep looping through them. .
OP

HerrPfister
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by HerrPfister » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:16 am

I cn just see that lass now - "my fella at the time, when he stayed with me round my parent's house, used to put AWP on at full volume - & he used to watch it!!!" :evil:

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:24 pm

:P :lol:
OP

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:33 am

I remember visiting my Grandma sometime around Dec 1983. She asked if I'd been watching a funny programme about three lads from Newcastle who was working in Germany. (This might sound strange for a Grandma to ask a 8-year old but in those days, hearing Geordie accents on a television drama was practically non-existent). But I had found my excuse to stay up late and watch it - recommended by my Grandma so Mam can't argue. I watched 'Private Lives' that night in the livingroom with my Dad, Mam and my Brother - I can remember them laughing at Barry's 'back to our hut' moment. At the end, I could instantly recognised the theme tune from what I heard the week before coming from my Brother's b/w portable tv in our bedroom that was facing his bed - while I was suppose to be asleep. I think he also watched 'Only Fools And Horses' earlier that evening so I would love to see the tv guide for that day to see if my memory has not been distorted. I should add that I never got any of the 'adult humour/jokes' but I was fascinated with Oz and in later episodes - Magowan. I remember when the adverts came on, my Brother switched the other channel over to watch the film 'American Werewolf Of London' for a few minutes before switching it back over. I only remember that because I was scared of that film.

Musta bin Elbowed
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Musta bin Elbowed » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:12 pm

Sadly Mr Hill it appears the second series of OFAH aired on Thursdays in Nov/Dec 1983 :(

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:40 am

Interesting. So my memory of that night is actually from 2 nights? Close enough. My memory is distorted.

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:03 am

Eeeeeeee! Just noticed the date. It was 31 years today that I started watching it.

AWPfanfromNZ
Boozer
Boozer

Post by AWPfanfromNZ » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:35 am

It's amazing how the world has changed in 30 years!

aufpetfan84
Plasterer
Plasterer

Post by aufpetfan84 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:17 pm

Must of been the channel 4 repeats when they where shown in the mid 90s :?: then I got back into it when series 3 was shown

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:55 am

I remember watching Series 3 when it was actually first shown, kept up with it every week but didnt like the ending clips of what was coming.. took something away from it..
OP

AWPfanfromNZ
Boozer
Boozer

Post by AWPfanfromNZ » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:52 am

Well it certainly helped me to keep up to date when we missed some of those episodes!!