Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Are you sad it is over ?

General chat about all things Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

AhhBrenda
Plumber
Plumber

Are you sad it is over ?

Post by AhhBrenda » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:25 pm

I get rather sentimental for that early eighties period. Even though I was very young only 12-13 and watched it with my parents. But now I can look back and recall and reminisce it kind of makes me feel a bit sad how time passes and that we are only here for a short while and everything moves on. There is something poignant about that period in my mind and heart. I do not think I knew how good the prog was then, I liked it as we all sat around and watched it together. But I have enjoyed the series multiple times in the last 5 years since then. Soppy old soul really. I think it might relate to how you group with a set of people/fiend and then drift as life changes happen. I like to go back and watch the programmes but always feel a little sad as well for some reason.

Maybe it is that kind of relatively carefree, simple lives they were living and we can associate with that when younger, Denis being the older of the bunch. I think it really feels quite old now the clothes, hairstyles, attitudes and what not. No internet back then.

I know we have to live in the present but sometimes it is nice to live in fantasy world a bit. All we have now is quotes some places and scenes to remember. I am not sure I am conveying this very well, anyone else get what I am on about ?

dan slider
Gaffer
Gaffer

Re: Are you sad it is over ?

Post by dan slider » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:33 pm

I get where your coming from ahhBren.
I always like to have a good old reminisce.
Even when your don't see your old pals as much but when you do
you have lots to talk about, usually about when we was young 'uns
or when we all went out on the drink together.
Good time, maybe we all change for a reason but every now and again its good to let the hair down
(whats left of it!)
But how often is every now and again? Friday!
Ahh payday
Hey thats a canny jumper man!

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:06 pm

Totally get you squire!
I'd give out to have a day in the 80s now!

Lou
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Lou » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:49 pm

"Put these thoughts from your minds, time travel is impossible, for you lot, the eighties are over!"

GatesheadRevisited
Plasterer
Plasterer

Post by GatesheadRevisited » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:07 am

Yes I am sad it's over. For me the show was more realistic and something I could actually relate to, compared to drivel such as Bless This House, Robin's Nest Father dear Father etc. The lads said things I said, did things I did. What came first the chicken or the egg, or did I say boiler and tidy tackle before I watched the show? Canny lads, canny show.

AlreetPal
Legal Advisor
Legal Advisor

Post by AlreetPal » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:44 pm

Lou wrote:"Put these thoughts from your minds, time travel is impossible, for you lot, the eighties are over!"

:D
Shut ya yak will ya man, you snivelling little git.

We're sophisticated blokes us, ya know.

AhhBrenda
Plumber
Plumber

Post by AhhBrenda » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:46 pm

I
Last edited by AhhBrenda on Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HerrPfister
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by HerrPfister » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:53 pm

Get the same feeling when reminiscing aboot football, me. Back then, deciding yee want to watch a game and rolling up an hoor or so before kick-off, dropping a few quid to stand on the terrace, and feeling a connection with those who were pling their trade in front of yous. Now, gan to a match requires military like planning, paying upwards of hundred poond for a day oot, then realising once you're there it's nothing like you grew up watching in tha first place.

Aye, i miss the 80s me.

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:58 pm

Bang on there.
As a kid I used to go and watch Rugby League, due to the fact that Halifax were a top team at the time and it was popular. I reckon it might have been a quid to get in, but the atmosphere was something you always remember. It was a hard game with players getting stuck in and fighting for the whole town. Good memories.

Musta bin Elbowed
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Musta bin Elbowed » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:13 pm

Aye. Gigs - especially festivals - are getting like that now too. I remember when Morrissey played Wembley Arena in 1991 on his first post-Smiths tour (so a pretty big deal really) and I phoned the box office (!!) about a fortnight before the show and got tickets over the phone. Nowadays any gig half worth going to is 'sold out' within seconds before the tickets start popping up online for twice the price. Its madness sunbeam, madness.

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:53 pm

it is sad to be over now, but i would be sadder it was over if Pat and Gary were still with us.. could always watch a Series 3 onwards easier with Gary in it.. . but we wont ever know that joy sadly!
OP