Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

unanswered questions ... (opinions vary)

General chat about all things Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

Wal-NUFC
Plumber
Plumber

unanswered questions ... (opinions vary)

Post by Wal-NUFC » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:23 am

Hello all

I thought I would start this thread and put the questions that I think have never been answered in my opinion, perhaps others will have other questions too and perhaps those have been answered for some, so let's begin ...

Wal-NUFC
Plumber
Plumber

Re: unanswered questions ... (opinions vary)

Post by Wal-NUFC » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:30 am

Question number 1:

Why do series 2, 4 and 5 begin with a side distraction that's a non starter?

In series 2: Falklands, what's the point of that one? used up an episode needlessly, even Barry's home was not a job!
In series 3:
In series 4: Russia, one episode no use
In series 5: Central Afria

I would have thought they would dedicate series 2 to the manor and Spain, there's enough events there, even series 3 would have been enough action in the States as it is, series 4 didn't need to lose an episode, and the special certainly didn't need the embassy scenes.

What do you think?

Wal-NUFC
Plumber
Plumber

Post by Wal-NUFC » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:33 am

Question 2: According to the first serve first come basis, why wasn't Bomber (never mind Wayne) in the hostel? he was there early enough!
Actually Bomber was there long enough before them, he had decided to leave Germany in the very first episde so has had enough!

Wal-NUFC
Plumber
Plumber

Post by Wal-NUFC » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:38 am

Question 3:

Whatever happened to Oz's lottery winnings? did he collect them?

Wal-NUFC
Plumber
Plumber

Post by Wal-NUFC » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:39 am

Question 4:

having talked about that, whatever happened to Neville's money he got from Taquin, the lads got the thieves before they ran away with it.

Musta bin Elbowed
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Musta bin Elbowed » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:51 am

The preamble scenes are just to set up the series and briefly show you what the lads have been up to since we last saw them. The series 2 and 4 preambles are fine with me, both are necessary (especially series 2 as we get several Falklands references in later episodes so it makes sense to show it early on). The season 3 'preamble' is altogether different - not so much a wasted episode as four and a half wasted episodes. The main reason I prefer series 4 to series 3 is in 4 they get out there 'on the job' by the end of episode one. Series 3 wastes way too much time and tries way too hard to be funny and modern when they should have just gone to Arizona as quick as they could and let the lads wreak havoc.

Musta bin Elbowed
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Musta bin Elbowed » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:53 am

Wal-NUFC wrote:Question 4:

having talked about that, whatever happened to Neville's money he got from Taquin, the lads got the thieves before they ran away with it.
Undoubtedly went back to Pru's department, or the relevant authority if Tarquin's contact was prosecuted for the deal. Dont forget Nev is photographed accepting it - the money is evidence

Wal-NUFC
Plumber
Plumber

Post by Wal-NUFC » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:05 am

thanks for the quick reply Musta, you assured me of my opinion that the Borough bit was a waste.
It seems the plot has passed by two stages, initially thinking the lads have aged too much to be considered 'workers' by then.

So initially the thought was to change the 7 (workers) to 7 (bosses), and hence the bridge project but then they changed them back for the rest of the whole drama in S3 and S4 and S5, they're but normal workers

Musta bin Elbowed
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Musta bin Elbowed » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:04 am

Aye. I think series 3 is a mess until they get to Arizona. It just doesnt feel like Pet. They're not living together, not grafting on site, not going out on the piss, and not getting into scrapes with 'foreign' locals - almost every single thing that defines Pet is missing until they get to Arizona. That's when the show picks up and starts to feel a bit like the real lads again....and then it's all over a couple of episodes later. Thankfully series 4 did not make this mistake and it was all the better for it.

Just makes me wonder what they could have done if they hadn't wasted so much time trying to be all modern with silly un-Pet plots about eastern European migration, cross-dressing, erectile dysfunction, and a dodgy politician.

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:58 am

You've made me look at S3 in a different light. I agree, S3 would have been great with more episodes in the US, weekend trips away, comedy gold!

ILF & DC did comment in the media about S4 and getting them back in a hut ASAP is what was needed.

I think we were spoiled with 13 episode runs cut down to 6, no time to get stuck into situations.

Musta bin Elbowed
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Musta bin Elbowed » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:07 pm

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet wrote:I think we were spoiled with 13 episode runs cut down to 6, no time to get stuck into situations.
I thought that when series 3 first aired, it seemed to be getting going and then it was all rushed to tie everything up. But then series 4 came along and proved they could still get a lot of mileage and a hell of a lot of plot (silly or not) out of six episodes if they just cut to the chase!

Here's my setup for series 3: Oz, with his well known love of America (y'naa America man), has been spending the last few years on and off bumming around the States. Eventually while staying on a friendly native American range he hears about their need for a team to erect a new bridge and decides to put the lads back together. Voila! All done and dusted in an episode or so, and they're back in a hut and scuffling with the locals again :D