Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Bad acting? What bad acting?

General chat about all things Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

Gary M
Plasterer
Plasterer

Bad acting? What bad acting?

Post by Gary M » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:32 pm

I've read various posts from AWP fans (not on this site) complaining of bad acting among the supporting cast. The consensus seems to be that Howard Radcliffe was the worst culprit. I don't see it myself - he's an architect, not a song and dance man. What is supposed to be the problem? Wooden expressions? Poor delivery of lines? I thought he was no less convincing a character than anyone else. Can someone explain?

Also, who else among the cast do you think needed to spend more time Inside the Actors Studio, and why?

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Re: Bad acting? What bad acting?

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:46 pm

For me it was again in series 2 with the 'cowgirl' Wayne tries to pull.. seems she isnt to 'with it' half the time like she's trying to remember lines as she goes on.. especially as she gets out of his car and then remembers to say her line , thats how it sounds anyway. Howard Radcliffe was ok as far as i am concerned, played his part as it was wrote im sure.. just a highly paid architect that thought he was higher in social class than the lads.. Spoiled by his Range Rover, Sunglasses, and Sesame seed bars..
OP

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:39 pm

Aye, the bird Wayne tries to pull, who is a big actress now, starring in Notting Hill to name just one film, and more recently 'Hebburn' Gina Mckee. This must have been one of her first acting jobs, and she has improved 100% now. Still makes me cringe though when she says....'I've gotta listen to this bloke, he sounds good...' Awful, but brilliant in Notting Hill!

dan slider
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by dan slider » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:18 pm

Gina McKee has played the same style all her career, and it works!

The worse actor has to be Mr Galloway, when Moxey is taking a well earned break.
The way his eyes are rolling around when delivering the lines are fantastic!
Hey thats a canny jumper man!

Gary M
Plasterer
Plasterer

Post by Gary M » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:33 pm

I think casting Mr. Galloway as a hardnose Scot was a nod to their previous creation Mr. McKay - now there was a performance for you.

Bomber's daughter Tracy was probably the low point for me. "My dad's never arooouuuund!" and "I'm only 16 remember, a coke will be fine!". Make me shudder everytime.

Breaking Away
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Breaking Away » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:51 pm

Agree with you there about Tracy. I thought of all people Bill Paterson had a few unconvincing laughs.Can't think of anyone else. I thought Howard was great actually

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:53 pm

Gary M wrote:I think casting Mr. Galloway as a hardnose Scot was a nod to their previous creation Mr. McKay - now there was a performance for you.

Bomber's daughter Tracy was probably the low point for me. "My dad's never arooouuuund!" and "I'm only 16 remember, a coke will be fine!". Make me shudder everytime.
I've always thought that Tracy was just being a bit sarcastic when she said: "I'm only 16 remember, a coke will be fine!" She wasn't the best actress in general though.

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:56 pm

I can't really stand that cowgirl myself. If she's reading this, then she was actually great.

dan slider
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by dan slider » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:05 pm

Howard played by John Bowler was perfectly cast....And if you hated him in his role then its a job well done on his part

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:09 pm

That's very true Dan. What confuses me is that we should hate Ali Frazer with the terrible things he did but I just love his character.

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:10 pm

Good point Dan.
It's weird with Ally the same, I kind of cannot not like him.....nasty but such a great character and played brilliantly.....

dan slider
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by dan slider » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:29 pm

I think the bad guys are always liked if played well.
Bill Patterson was perfect, he wasn't the strongest guy but he could talk anyone down in the matter of seconds.

Gary M
Plasterer
Plasterer

Post by Gary M » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:51 pm

RHill wrote:I've always thought that Tracy was just being a bit sarcastic when she said: "I'm only 16 remember, a coke will be fine!" She wasn't the best actress in general though.
I don't think she could play it straight, let alone do sarcasm.

Gary M
Plasterer
Plasterer

Post by Gary M » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:03 pm

Probably doesn't belong on this thread, but we have to mention the decline in Gary Holton's acting towards the end. In 'A Law for the Rich' (at about 20:50) in the scene where Dennis says "do you know something I don't", look at Gary's face throughout. He's supposed to be playing it all innocent but you can see his eyes are glazed over as though he's not all there. And in Hasta La Vista when they're playing snooker (Gary's last ever scene) listen to the way he says "couldn't he afford the VAT on his tent?" - it's more scornful than his usual droll one-liners, as though he's not in the Wayne character - clearly this was his lowest point - I think he died that night or the next day didn't he?

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:33 pm

It was somewhere around that point yes.. the fact he was stressed to say the least with whatever was going on outside of filming showed and it would with anyone i think.. I bet Jimmy wasnt helping much.. seemed they were total opposite to their behaviour on S1..
OP