Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Tacked On Scenes?

General chat about all things Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

Si
Gaffer
Gaffer

Tacked On Scenes?

Post by Si » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:09 pm

This may have been mentioned before. I was thinking today about The Return of the Seven Part One where the lads are in the Bell and Dragon.

Dennis gets a call and wanders off to answer it. Up until that point we have nice wide shots. Two or three of the lads, extras in the background...

Then all of a sudden we get a couple of close ups of Bomb and Nev, camera looking kind of up at them so only the walls can be seen as they discuss Dennis, Vera and Dagmar....

I reckon this was an added scene (okay, not a scene per se, but you get me meaning) to provide some dialogue about Dennis's failed marriage to Vera.

The close ups are disguising the fact there's no extras there anymore.

Have a look, see what you think. After the short Bomb/Nev exchange it goes straight back to the previous wide shots.

I wonder if there's any more 'tacked on scenes' in Pet. Gonna rack me brains.

I could be wrong of course, but it seems oot of place. :geek:

43 mins ish...

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Re: Tacked On Scenes?

Post by RHill » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:24 am

Before the close-up shot, you can clearly hear some of the extras saying their goodbyes quite loudly before they leave the pub (louder than usual for a background artist). I found this quite rare and interesting because it looks like they have been told to be more realistic and actually stand out in the scene for a change - normally they are strictly told to never stand out. Only then does it cut to the close shots of Bomber and Neville to reveal an important story about Dennis. To guide the viewers on where Roger Bamford wants you to focus on next. I think this has been done to add more realism and atmosphere. This is my thought anyway. :)

Gary M
Plasterer
Plasterer

Post by Gary M » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:47 pm

No, it's clear from the up-close angles and the subject matter that those shots were filmed and added in afterwards. There was no reason for Nev to tell Bomber at this point, and we the audience already knew the score. I suspect this replaced dialog between Nev and Bomb that didn't fit the revised storyline.

Adolf
Brickie
Brickie

Post by Adolf » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:12 pm

I think that's a great spot.

Exposition, the TV types call it, obviously added in for those who jumped on the bandwagon.

Had series 1 been repeated by the time series 2 aired for the first time?

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:20 pm

I hadn't realised that we the audience knew the score by then, regarding the plot. Oh well. :)

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:33 pm

We knew the score yes but did Bomber? He only just met up with them again that night. Have I got that reet? So yes, he needed to be filled in. "So he gives up Dagmar and ends up with nothing." That way he is up to date and the audience. OK, I'll go and boil me head !!!

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:01 am

If it has been added later, then note the background noise is quite consistent. Is it possible that the 'pub noise' has been added too and is not coming from the extras?

Gary M
Plasterer
Plasterer

Post by Gary M » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:07 pm

RHill wrote:If it has been added later, then note the background noise is quite consistent. Is it possible that the 'pub noise' has been added too and is not coming from the extras?
Yes, it's very common, even back then. They call it "Foley". They probably took the background noise from the original pub scene and mixed it in with Kevin and Pat's voices in the reshoots.

Gary M
Plasterer
Plasterer

Post by Gary M » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:16 pm

Tracy wrote:We knew the score yes but did Bomber? He only just met up with them again that night. Have I got that reet? So yes, he needed to be filled in. "So he gives up Dagmar and ends up with nothing." That way he is up to date and the audience. OK, I'll go and boil me head !!!
My point is there's no need for poignant close ups here just to tell Bomber. If Bamford wanted to win Best Director, why not go large and do the up-close-and-personal with all the lads - remember that Barry, Wayne, Oz and Mox didn't know yet either.

If you look just before the close-ups, Nev says "I did have a drink with him at dinner time" - I reckon this original wideshot continued with Nev saying something like "Vera is fed up with him coming home late drunk every night" which could have been a bit of a stretch to dub over.

Also remember the scenes are all shot out of order, hence they WERE able to rewrite the scenes where Den and Nev first meet up to discuss Barry's letter and where Den says he's not with Vera anymore.

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:48 pm

Some really interesting points there Gary. :)

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:01 pm

Hang on I've got a question here......"how longs this thing with Vicki be gannin on?..."

In all seriousness, I wonder how many more of these they're are.

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:03 pm

Whats that supposed to mean ??!

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:11 pm

Adolf wrote:I think that's a great spot.

Exposition, the TV types call it, obviously added in for those who jumped on the bandwagon.

Good question Adolf. I can't remember. Be interesting if anyone can answer this. :)

Gary M
Plasterer
Plasterer

Post by Gary M » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:58 pm

RHill wrote:
Adolf wrote:I think that's a great spot.

Good question Adolf. I can't remember. Be interesting if anyone can answer this. :)
Not sure what the point of the question is. I thought it pretty clear that Nev and Bomber are not explaining things for the benefit of bandwagon or any other viewers. The editors are just replacing part of the original pub scene (filmed when Caroline Hutchinson was thought well enough to be in the show) with post-production scenes filmed after she had been written out.