Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Series 2 Weird parts

General chat about all things Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

agabloodydoo
Carpenter
Carpenter

Re: Series 2 Weird parts

Post by agabloodydoo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:17 pm

AWP Corsa Tim wrote:Anymore 'Weirdness' from Series 2 you lot can think of??

Not really weird, but anyone notice 'Colin' from Brittas Empire.. a few years before he was actually Colin, as the copper in the night club who knows Oz's face.. 8-)

Great spot! I always knew I knew his face from somewhere but could never put my finger on it!

totti
Electrician
Electrician

Post by totti » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:30 pm

Watching series one recently and there's an episode were Neville receives a letter from Brenda telling him that she's had to cancel the bathroom tiles. I thought the reason Neville was in Germany was to save for a deposit for a house on that posh new housing estate. Always wondered why you would be buying bathroom tiles for a house you are looking to move out of. It niggles.

phoenix
Carpenter
Carpenter

Post by phoenix » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:39 pm

totti wrote:Watching series one recently and there's an episode were Neville receives a letter from Brenda telling him that she's had to cancel the bathroom tiles. I thought the reason Neville was in Germany was to save for a deposit for a house on that posh new housing estate. Always wondered why you would be buying bathroom tiles for a house you are looking to move out of. It niggles.
Some people do up a house tomake it more saleable or increase it's value.You obviously haven't watched houses under the hammer on BBC1?

totti
Electrician
Electrician

Post by totti » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:45 pm

No, I don't buy that.

Gary M
Plasterer
Plasterer

Post by Gary M » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:27 pm

Not really weird, but I always thought 87 pence for bitter was too high for 1985. I recall it being about 75p in my local (South Yorkshire) in the late 80's and that was after a couple years of high inflation. I could be wrong - that time was just a drunken haze. The Barley Mow is a nice little boozer set in the country so I suppose that justifies it. Or maybe the writers used London prices.

Anyone remember what they would have paid back then in a similar pub and location?

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:43 pm

This link may interest you regarding beer prices :)

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/writ ... eer-prices

Gary M
Plasterer
Plasterer

Post by Gary M » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:26 pm

Cheers Richard. I never know what to make of average pint price surveys as there's so much regional variation. Lived in the east midlands (Nottingham) for three years 88-91 and incidentally drank in the 'Bel and Dragon' several times without knowing it was the 'Bel and Dragon'.

I think Arthur was charging over the odds. I bet Oz wasn't paying 87p in the Portland. I would like to have seen Oz moaning to Pringle about the prices. It was little dialogue like that that made the show so good.

Gary M
Plasterer
Plasterer

Post by Gary M » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:37 pm

Beeston back then was great for a pub crawl if you like your backstreet boozers. At least a dozen if I remember, all easily walkable. You had to keep your mouth shut in some places if you didn't have the Notts accent as the Uni was next door and some of the punters didn't take kindly to students. But it all added to the charm! Haven't been back in years. Like everything, I'm sure it's nothing like I remember, sadly.

Herr Ullrich
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Herr Ullrich » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:15 pm

Mrs Chatterley really annoys me, her voice is a really rubbish take on Maggie Thatcher. Its as though she was told to play the part as Maggie because there are a few references to Oz's worship of Arthur Scargill. Thatcher was then seemingly conquered by Scargill ! And her husband the gormless git, he played Jumbo Mills in Only Fools and Horses. There again is a similie, didn't he want to import posh motors into OZ with Delboys help. In AWP he was impounding posh motors !

Si
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Si » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:23 pm

Ron Smollet. Legend :D

Gary M
Plasterer
Plasterer

Post by Gary M » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:20 am

Not weird but grating: the number of Americanisms the lads use.

Examples:

"you'll be pressing your pants I suppose" (Nev)
"the English lads wear sneakers" (Nev)
"it's just the turn light, actually" (Nev)
"we're the ones that have been burglarised, aren't we, we're the victims" (Oz)

Like 'pro tem', these doesn't sound right coming from early 80s brickies, and this was way before cable TV and the internet started to influence the language so much.

Hedley Irwin
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Hedley Irwin » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:41 pm

Isn't it "tail light" that Nev says rather than turn light?
I need some slippers, and some soap

Jamon Jamon
Brickie
Brickie

Post by Jamon Jamon » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:33 am

AWP Corsa Tim wrote:Another little Weird bit... When Mrs Bellamy goes to the manor to tell Dennis to stop work, we can all CLEARLY see Sgt Ives stood there.. yet in the next episode we hear him say to Dennis that he heard that he had to stop work.. ??? Strange.. as he was there when Dennis was told!
"I'm afraid Mrs Bellamy's right Dennis"

HerrPfister
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by HerrPfister » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:37 pm

Gary M wrote:Not weird but grating: the number of Americanisms the lads use.

Examples:

"you'll be pressing your pants I suppose" (Nev)
I always thought he meant underpants. Could be wrong, mind.

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:38 pm

Episode 5, A Home from Home. Finished work in the Manor for the day and Barry tells Oz, "Rosy Lea for me." Nev says he is not going to spend his evening looking for a pub they've not been barred from. So he's off to work for Sir James. Questions; how does he get there? Dont think he borrows Dennis' wagon because thats how they go back to the Barley Mow to appeal to Tiger. Does he borrow Wayne's BMW, done in a scene we never saw like? Or Barry's van perhaps? Has he found a bike because I think it would be an aweful long walk, unless Sir James lives next door. Does he ???