Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Series 2 - How different could/would it have been

General chat about all things Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

peng50
Boozer
Boozer

Series 2 - How different could/would it have been

Post by peng50 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:36 am

On another topic there's mention of a scene where Neville is in bed with Brenda
and he's seen saying he'll make the dinner for Brenda and Vera... Of course Vera
was never in series 2 so Vera's name was replaced with Norma but this got me
thinking... If Caroline Hutchison was well enough to take part in the original script
how different would series 2 have been ?

Firstly if Neville was inviting Vera over for dinner, I presume her and Dennis would
still have been together, further evidence of this comes from the fact that while Vera
was having dinner she would have said the same things to Neville that Norma did about
being worried about Dennis owing Ally Money.

Also if Dennis was with Vera would he have still been the boozy character he was in
series 2 - Neville and Bomber made some sort of reference in episode 1 to dennis
knocking back tHE scotch and linking that with him leaving Dagmar and ending up with nothing.

It would be interesting to see the first scripts for series 2 and the end ones to see how much
the end result differs from the original plot, and how much input Vera would have actually
had in series 2.

Gary M
Plasterer
Plasterer

Re: Series 2 - How different could/would it have been

Post by Gary M » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:45 am

I expect Den and Vera still to be together, since as well as the 'dinner with Norma/Vera' we also hear Den say he's going home to see 'our lass' which always means wife/gf (not sister), at least up my way anyway. But, the relationship would surely have been strained since one can't imagine Den working for Ally without owing him, and so the alcoholism would still have been there. However bad the marriage, I can't see Christine playing the gf role (that would have been too big a subplot imo) so I assume her role was written afterwards. If these assumptions are true, it would be interesting seeing how Vera would have behaved in Spain, since surely she would have hated Fraser, blaming him for Den's downfall.

Any other theories?

dan slider
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by dan slider » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:50 pm

I think the Vera part would of been along the same sort of lines as Christine.
She would of hated Ally, but gone along with it to please Den, but the marriage would of been on the rocks through out the series, So i dont't think a great deal of the script would of been that far away from what actually was shot.
Hey thats a canny jumper man!

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:41 pm

This is really interesting actually, as Series 2 could have played out totally different. I am pretty sure the early scripts, which still may surface yet, will show what was going on between Dennis and Vera.

I must have also been a rush decision and script changes to get Christine in to it all. We know Dennis and Neville dub over parts where they say Vera, so what else could have been in the can, and was canned because it would have made no sense to the story?

Great post, and I am going to think about this for a while. :idea:

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:58 pm

Yes your on to something big here Bonny Lad ! If Dennis and Vera were giving it another go, [ oh how I hate art immitating life ! ] and it really wasnt working out, the added strain of Dennis owing Ally would have been bitter benzine on the fire. Imagine Oz and Moxey rolling up at their place, hoping to doss ?! And Vera going looking for Rod, coming back to find them doing their Open University course. Think Vera would have been a lot harder and where would the bairns have fitted into the story? Would they have gone along to Spain or stayed at Vera's sister's for that time ? Still think the marriage would have crashed ???? mmmmmmm

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:07 pm

Yes great post and an interesting read. :)

Hedley Irwin
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Hedley Irwin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:25 pm

Gary M wrote:I expect Den and Vera still to be together, since as well as the 'dinner with Norma/Vera' we also hear Den say he's going home to see 'our lass' which always means wife/gf (not sister), at least up my way anyway.
I agree that that is what it means in normal conversation up our way, but I'm not sure that it's a given in the script.

Remember Oz's conversation to Dennis about meeting Eddie Huggins in the Portland. "His lass had said that wor lass had gone to Blackpool to stay with her lass...." Presumably the last "lass" referred to Marjorie's sister
I need some slippers, and some soap

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:32 pm

Well spoken Hedley.

Hedley Irwin
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Hedley Irwin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:35 pm

So which scenes/scripts needed to change?

Obviously anything involving Norma or Christine.
The conversation between Nev and Bomber at the Bell and Dragon, as mentioned elsewhere
The conversation between Dennis and Marjorie at the quayside
The conversation between Dennis and Oz when Oz first showed up (you could argue that this is covered by point one)

Anything else?
I need some slippers, and some soap

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:40 pm

Who's the tart in the car? That scene?

HerrPfister
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by HerrPfister » Wed May 01, 2013 5:54 am

RHill wrote:Who's the tart in the car? That scene?
That's a good question. Was this a whole new scene, or would Dennis have had a bit on the side?

('Obviously. If I knew who she was, I wouldn't be asking who she was, would I?')

Great topic this.

Breaking Away
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Breaking Away » Wed May 01, 2013 9:23 am

I don't think Christine would be the type of woman that would do that. Then again, her hubby Nev was just in the other room and she wasn't concerned humping Den behind his back.

Si
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Si » Wed May 01, 2013 10:35 am

Also to add to this debate would be Dennis's kids. Angela was in one scene. Kevin wasn't in any.

If Vera and Dennis were together in series 2 would we have seen more of the kids?

When Norma went to stay at the Cross Keys was it meant to be Vera? And I assume Vera was meant to go to Spain as opposed to Chris so on these occasions would the kids have just been mentioned in passing? As in Vera's mam was looking after them while Den and Vera were away or something?

I suppose we might have just seen the kids once or twice in England maybe? I mean it was okay with Debbie 'cause she was so young the writers didn't have to worry about her. But two older 'speaking' kids might have been harder to fit in to the story.

Aye, it's a reet puzzla this one....

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Wed May 01, 2013 11:48 am

Vera was coming to the Cross Keys 100%, as Dennis mouths Vera in the Barley Mow car park scene just before Oz puts the ball through the window, but it's dubbed Norma.

I also wonder how the episodes were shot, because in that episode above its already been filmed, but in ROT7 P1, he's living with Norma. Plus Neville mouthing Vera when in bed with Brenda just before Half Time during the Newcastle Stoke match. Were the Norma scenes refilmed or were they waiting to hear about Caroline's health, or other scenes filmed?

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Tue May 07, 2013 3:38 pm

One thing no one has mentioned is...

Were any scenes filmed with Gary that couldn't be used, because it wouldn't make sense for him not to be in the next scene? I know about the Snooker scene, and that works really well, but anything else, that was in the can? Does that make sense?