Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

How hard was Oz?

General chat about all things Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

The Magnificent 7
Gaffer
Gaffer

How hard was Oz?

Post by The Magnificent 7 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:03 am

I've been thinking how hard Oz was. I've noticed little differences in Oz from Series 1 and Oz from Series 2. In Series 1 he is of course a lager lout who regularly gets into trouble and he's obviously quite tough but a few observations I've noticed.

In 'Who Won the War Anyway' when he got into the fight in the bar it looks as if the German got the better of him. In 'The Lovers' when Uli mentions she has a boyfriend he seems quite concerned asking if he's a big bloke, also from the same episode when Neville says he should have put a stop to Marjorie's affair with the bloke from the brewery he replies saying "Have you seen how big he is, he lifts them barrels with one arm". Then when Kemal goes to attack him he runs, I know he had a knife but Oz to me seems like a bloke who would have stood his ground. He doesn't seem too keen to get rid of Magowan, although Magowan is a hard case I would have thought Oz would have stood his ground against him.

Then compare it to Series 2, where for me Oz seems to come across as tougher than Series 1. He gets hoyed out of the Falklands for fighting with a group of paratroopers, he floors Big Baz with a head butt, he easily takes care of a few of the big heavies Ally sent to the Manor, and also the fact he has no problem upsetting Ally despite him being a notorious gangster with a fierce reputation.

So what do you think was Oz tougher in Series 1 or Series 2?

dan slider
Gaffer
Gaffer

Re: How hard was Oz?

Post by dan slider » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:44 pm

series 2 for me, we saw Oz in a few more fights :D
Hey thats a canny jumper man!

Wal-NUFC
Plumber
Plumber

Post by Wal-NUFC » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:27 pm

quite right really, he's on average a much tougher Oz in S2.

Gary M
Plasterer
Plasterer

Post by Gary M » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:32 am

He reached his hardness apex in S3 threatening to give Yorgo a slap in front of his packing henchman.

AlreetPal
Legal Advisor
Legal Advisor

Post by AlreetPal » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:24 am

He also did threathen to rip Martin Cooper's face off, although he wasn't exactly a fighter wor Martin.
Last edited by AlreetPal on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shut ya yak will ya man, you snivelling little git.

We're sophisticated blokes us, ya know.

peng50
Boozer
Boozer

Post by peng50 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:07 pm

The Magnificent 7 wrote:I've been thinking how hard Oz was. I've noticed little differences in Oz from Series 1 and Oz from Series 2. In Series 1 he is of course a lager lout who regularly gets into trouble and he's obviously quite tough but a few observations I've noticed.

In 'Who Won the War Anyway' when he got into the fight in the bar it looks as if the German got the better of him. In 'The Lovers' when Uli mentions she has a boyfriend he seems quite concerned asking if he's a big bloke, also from the same episode when Neville says he should have put a stop to Marjorie's affair with the bloke from the brewery he replies saying "Have you seen how big he is, he lifts them barrels with one arm". Then when Kemal goes to attack him he runs, I know he had a knife but Oz to me seems like a bloke who would have stood his ground. He doesn't seem too keen to get rid of Magowan, although Magowan is a hard case I would have thought Oz would have stood his ground against him.

Then compare it to Series 2, where for me Oz seems to come across as tougher than Series 1. He gets hoyed out of the Falklands for fighting with a group of paratroopers, he floors Big Baz with a head butt, he easily takes care of a few of the big heavies Ally sent to the Manor, and also the fact he has no problem upsetting Ally despite him being a notorious gangster with a fierce reputation.

So what do you think was Oz tougher in Series 1 or Series 2?
Don't forget also in series 1 he ended up in Hospital as a result of the fight in the bierkeller.

could never understand really why he was afraid of Magowan when you saw how easy he
sparked out big baz like

Mr Bronson's Brother
Brickie
Brickie

Post by Mr Bronson's Brother » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:35 pm

Gary M wrote:He reached his hardness apex in S3 threatening to give Yorgo a slap in front of his packing henchman.
"and what does your friend think with, his bollocks?"

Hallwood
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Hallwood » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:07 pm

Oz was kind of mates with Magowan; he didn't really see him as a nuisance like the other lads did.

He wouldn't have invited him to stay in the hut, then try and physically throw him out.

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:18 pm

I never really saw Oz as 'kind of mates' with Magowan. I've always got the impression that Oz was showing his insecure side in this episode. Wanting to prove that he's not uncomfortable around Magowan - after realising that nobody else feels the same. Yet Oz shows exactly the same fears as the others as soon as Dennis tells Magowan that he's not welcomed in the hut. Oz quickly walks away from the conflict. If he was a 'friend', he would of told Den that he's nee bother. Oz just looked scared of him to me.

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:24 pm

Saying that, Oz just wanted him to win the darts match!

Musta bin Elbowed
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Musta bin Elbowed » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:03 pm

And he did stick up for Macgowan earlier on. But you're right - he shat himself when it came to the crunch.

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:14 am

What about in Suspicion when Wayne is winding Neville up, and Neville almost it's Wayne.
You see Oz getting ready to steam in, but he does nothing.

Magowan
Plumber
Plumber

Post by Magowan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:51 pm

The Magnificent 7 wrote:In 'Who Won the War Anyway' when he got into the fight in the bar it looks as if the German got the better of him.
Mind you, you don't know if the German's mates ganged up on Oz, do you?
RHill wrote:I never really saw Oz as 'kind of mates' with Magowan. I've always got the impression that Oz was showing his insecure side in this episode. Wanting to prove that he's not uncomfortable around Magowan - after realising that nobody else feels the same. Yet Oz shows exactly the same fears as the others as soon as Dennis tells Magowan that he's not welcomed in the hut. Oz quickly walks away from the conflict. If he was a 'friend', he would of told Den that he's nee bother. Oz just looked scared of him to me.
Someone like Oz might've had a pint too many when he thought letting Magowan into the hut was a good idea.
GET BAAAAAAAACK!

DiventFret
Carpenter
Carpenter

Post by DiventFret » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:59 pm

I think he's more brave than hard. When he has the final confrontation with Raul in Cuba, you see the size of his fist compared to the size of his face though! With Magowan, I think it was was more that because Oz was always oblivious to those around him, he couldn't see why Magowan would upset the harmony.

racesgirl2000
Boozer
Boozer

Post by racesgirl2000 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:36 pm

I'm sure that Oz would beat the crap out of Ally if it suited him
Oi oi, what's the word then