Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

The 2014 Fan Convention - The Planning Thread.

News and information regarding the 2014 Fan Gathering.

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

The 2014 Fan Convention - The Planning Thread.

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:14 pm

We are now underway in getting this together, with many Emails out and about.
Redmile is looking like the main area meet up, seeing as it has a couple of pubs, and many locations used in S2.

Sadly, The Windmill never replies to any contact, so I cannot do much about that.

I have the local community of Redmile having a chat about us, and its looking very positive.

June is the month of the meet up, 100% of people agree who have replied that this is the month that they can get to Redmile.

Costs.
I have no reason to charge a single penny, BUT I would like to make sure we raise money for Redmile and a couple of other locations we visit, so a minimum donation will have to be worked out.

Ideas.
I am very open to ideas, as we have never done this before we need to get it right for future years. I do not want to be the main planner, it has to be a team, so that we all agree on everything, basically...'No gaffers...'

Lets use this TOPIC for ideas only please, and start a new Topic for anything else.

DS

Hedley Irwin
Gaffer
Gaffer

Re: The 2014 Fan Convention

Post by Hedley Irwin » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:44 pm

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet wrote:We are now underway in getting this together, with many Emails out and about.
Redmile is looking like the main area meet up, seeing as it has a couple of pubs, and many locations used in S2.

Sadly, The Windmill never replies to any contact, so I cannot do much about that.

I have the local community of Redmile having a chat about us, and its looking very positive.

June is the month of the meet up, 100% of people agree who have replied that this is the month that they can get to Redmile.

Costs.
I have no reason to charge a single penny, BUT I would like to make sure we raise money for Redmile and a couple of other locations we visit, so a minimum donation will have to be worked out.

Ideas.
I am very open to ideas, as we have never done this before we need to get it right for future years. I do not want to be the main planner, it has to be a team, so that we all agree on everything, basically...'No gaffers...'

Lets use this TOPIC for ideas only please, and start a new Topic for anything else.

DS
When you say raise money for Redmile, what did you have in mind? I don't know about anyone else, but how about offering help of a different sort? - litter picking in the village, repainting in the village hall, a spot of DIY or gardening for the elderly that sort of thing.

I'm not a skilled tradesman by any means, but I daresay there are a few people attending who are reasonably competent DIYers even if they aren't actually qualified. And the rest of us "can shovel, be a labourer."

Would help to a) build a bit of team spirit among us lot (yes, I know I sound like Barry here), and b) raise the reputation of Pet fans within the local community so they are more likely to invite us back in future years. We might even make the local press.

We could have the convention on the Saturday, beers on the night, then some community work on the Sunday before heading our separate ways.
I need some slippers, and some soap

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:39 pm

Now that Hedley, is a bloody brill idea!

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:48 pm

Some residents may get wrong idea and be more on guard because of people they dont know, and the Windmill at this time is the ONLY pub open there... also the only time you can get in touch with Dave the landlord is early in the morning..
OP

Hedley Irwin
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Hedley Irwin » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:54 pm

Fair point Tim, but if it's arranged through the local parish council or vicar etc, it should be easy enough to break down any barriers shouldn't it?

Ok, I can see that people wouldn't want to let us rabble into their homes to do any work, but repainting the woodwork at the village hall, clearing out rubbish from the local stream (no tickling for trout allowed), or doing a litter pick in the village would surely be ok.

I do an activity called geocaching, which is sort of a cross between orienteering and a treasure hunt. We quite often arrange permission to host events in country parks, on farmland etc, with the proviso that those who attend do a litter picking session afterwards. Everyone's a winner
I need some slippers, and some soap

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:03 pm

I have a good contact in Redmile who is willing to help, so I can put this to them see how they take it, and to see if its a good idea. I'm thinking the best idea right now, would be to clean up the main street, and do any work/cleaning at the church?

DS

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:03 pm

I know an AVID Geocache 'er... shes mad on it, lives up north, can be fun, there are Geocache boxes near my area also, good fun..

The idea overall Hedley is a cracker, and i welcome it, its just that the Redmile people are used to their own privacy i feel, but i hope as you say once the local vicar etc gives them a nudge i hope they come round to it..
OP

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:08 pm

I think its a great way of giving back, seeing as there could be hundreds of us there on the day. It would also make the local press I am sure, and help us on the next Convention wherever that may be.

The only worry I have is the 'Crackerjacks' who will ruin the day.
How do we not have a bunch of hod carrying lunatics running around Redmile terrorizing the neighbourhood?

Bomber
Plumber
Plumber

Post by Bomber » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:45 pm

It's a shame it couldn't be held at Beesthorpe Hall. That would have been awesome.

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:36 pm

Bomber wrote:It's a shame it couldn't be held at Beesthorpe Hall. That would have been awesome.
Off limits boyo!

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:11 pm

Aye, thats not going to happen.. not unless we bought the place off the current owner..
OP

Bomber
Plumber
Plumber

Post by Bomber » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:29 pm

We could always have a whippet round ;)

Hallwood
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Hallwood » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:18 am

Hedley Irwin wrote:
Auf Wiedersehen, Pet wrote:We are now underway in getting this together, with many Emails out and about.

Costs.

Ideas.

DS
When you say raise money for Redmile, what did you have in mind? I don't know about anyone else, but how about offering help of a different sort? - litter picking in the village, repainting in the village hall, a spot of DIY or gardening for the elderly that sort of thing.

I'm not a skilled tradesman by any means, but I daresay there are a few people attending who are reasonably competent DIYers even if they aren't actually qualified. And the rest of us "can shovel, be a labourer."

Would help to a) build a bit of team spirit among us lot (yes, I know I sound like Barry here), and b) raise the reputation of Pet fans within the local community so they are more likely to invite us back in future years. We might even make the local press.

We could have the convention on the Saturday, beers on the night, then some community work on the Sunday before heading our separate ways.
"Brickies in Mercy Dash! Have Trowel, Will Travel"

Fletch
Electrician
Electrician

Post by Fletch » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:46 am

As a date in June been sorted yet?

I think Hedley's idea is great, there is a small school in Redmile, perhaps something could be done with them.
I know the benefit and help with the Viking Challenge every October so I'm sure they would will be willing to help.

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:45 pm

I'm waiting for some replies before anything is concrete, nailed down....water tight as it were.