Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

A Concerted Effort

A Place for the fans versions of AWP

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

936trt
Gaffer
Gaffer

A Concerted Effort

Post by 936trt » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:50 pm

A Concerted Effort

Oz was looking at Sarah with raised eyebrows.

Oz:” This is a huge bastard job pet. It’s way more involved than I ever imagined. “

Sarah: “Yes Oz, I think we’ve been far too close to be able to get it in perspective. When I saw the attitude of the FCO it made me take a step back as well. We have to tell everyone else about it and get their input don’t you think?”

The main dining room in the New Castle was full. In addition to some senior members of the Amesec staff the lads and their immediate family were joined by Kenny Ames and Vicky. Barry had arranged for a video link at the Convent to enable Tatiana to take part and had left details with Moxey although he had not shown much enthusiasm according to Barry.
Chris, Wyman and his group were to join the proceedings later having encountered problems in picking up Heather Lane and Gary Turnbull.
Kenny Brown with the staff not allocated to Chris, had arrived on time and contacted Pru urgently.

Pru made an announcement.

Pru: “ Good morning everyone. We have acted on the advice of Kenny Brown so please be assured there is no immediate problem, however his people began their security sweep on the way over from the airport. In so doing they discovered and neutralised, certain devices installed in the buildings opposite .Kenny?”

Kenny: “ Hi everyone. There is no immediate problem ,we found some receivers over the road and several transmitters over here. This must have happened in the last few days. I’m advised these premises were swept last week, I don’t know about over the road.”

Pru: “ We’ll look at cctv and see where we can tighten up .Sarah can you add anything ?”

Sarah: “ As you know over the years we’ve had a lot of help from our friends at the ministry and since the leak at Amesec was plugged we’ve followed their advice on internal security. I will liaise with Mr Brown and his team.”

Pru: “ Well if everyone has sufficient tea and coffee I suggest we begin. A little bird tells me our other guests are about an hour away. Sarah would you start us off?”

Sarah: “ I think there is no need to emphasise the danger .This mornings’ revelation by Mr Browns’ team has done that. Like you, Oz and I talked about what has happened recently and realised there was more to it. We need help .” She looked across to Dagmar.” Dagmar you have a suggestion would you care to explain?”

Dagmar: “When Sarah told me what she had in mind I had the same reaction. We all have family. “ She glanced at Detlef and Debbie, sat next to Dennis.” Some of us are more concerned than others .”

Dennis: “ Look pet all I said was we can’t be hurtling about like we used to. I agree with Sarah we need help with this.”

Dagmar: “ Dennis I’m not arguing ,we do need help.”

Dennis: “Let’s just have it out in the open pet. I’ll be the first to say it. We’re all pensioners, our runnin’ and jumpin’ days are numbered.” Dagmar stifled a laugh and was joined by Pru . Nev had turned to say something just as she started to giggle.

Neville: “ Can I say something Pru?” She nodded and put her hand over her mouth.” It’s no secret and I know Oz would agree. None of us are in the first flush of youth but there’s no shame in recognising our limitations.”

Oz: “ I agree with you Nev. There is a problem and we need help .The question is where do we go to get it?”

Detlef: “ Can I jump in here Pru?”She nodded.” I spoke to Chris recently and without pre empting what he intends to say ,this is a huge problem ,it impacts not only us ,the extended family, but there is an international factor . I was talking to Mr Taylor earlier and he confirmed he has seen the influence all over Europe and in the Caribbean but more recently in his Film business in the Far East as well.” Detlef glanced up as Kenny Ames raised his hand.

Kenny: “Sorry Detlef, I just wanted to say that I have encountered similar can I say friction, in dealings in that part of the world. I will be interested to hear what Chris has to say , commercial problems are one thing ,but this appears to be something else.”

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Re: A Concerted Effort

Post by Tracy » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:56 pm

OP

936trt
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by 936trt » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:28 am

During the coffee break Oz was chatting with Barry.

Oz: “ You said you were heading off to the airport in a few minutes kiddah?”

Barry: “ Aye ,well I’m meeting a new member of staff. She’s joining me for this then we’re off to the Varna Centre .She’s going to be running our eastern Fantasy film business ,you know Australia, Japan, Thailand.”

Oz: “ Sarah was telling me it’s really taken off down under?”

Barry: “That’s right Oz, in fact all the Centres are doing well and that’s why we’ve had a recruiting drive recently. You’ll know her when you see her.”

Oz:” Will I, how come?”

Barry: “ Remember our trip to Laos a few years back ,well the lady in question was senior manager in the administration office at the Australian embassy .”

Oz:” Oh aye ,I remember ,she was Naomi something, Hedges, that was it. Canny boiler as I recall. So she’s working for you now?”

Barry: “ Yes she is and before you ask no we haven’t got that kind of relationship Oz.” Oz laughed.

Oz: “ Not yet, bonny lad, not yet. Give it time.”

Barry: “ We’re lucky to get her. She was transferred after a particularly violent uprising during which her husband was killed. Very sad, she went back to Sydney and was there for a few years and then left to try retirement ,got bored and answered our advert. She knows that part of the world very well and will handle this job perfectly.”

Oz: “ You’re a sly bugger Barry, I bet you’ve slipped her a length, or two.”

Barry: “ Oz I’ve told you it’s not like that, anyway I have to go ,I’ll see you later.”

During Barry’s absence Chris arrived with Heather Lane and Gary Turnbull. They were met at the entrance to the dining room by Pru and Dagmar.

Gary: “ Hello Pru, you’re looking well, how’s the family ,I bet those twins will be experts at demolition by now?”

Pru: “ Thank you for the compliment, I think . How was your flight?”

Gary: “Great. I would fly all the time if I was Chris. By the by I’ve been hearing about the problem you’re having?”

Pru: “ Indeed we’ll be touching on that subject later today and you’ll be able to ask Sarah. She has had a lot of discussion about it with her new friend at the Foreign office. Ah, I see Chris waving. Excuse me Gary.” She made her way over to join Chris .

Chris: “ Hello Pru, I hope you are well?” She guided Chris away from Gary towards Dennis and Neville.

Pru: “ I’m very well, thank you for asking Chris. I’m sorry about that but there’s something a bit creepy about Gary.” She never finished her comment, turning she saw Heather staring very pointedly at her.

Chris: “ You’re not the first to make that comment,” He glanced in Heather’s direction” and I would add don’t let Heather get under your skin. Since the Outreach fiasco those two are fast approaching insufferable. We need to work together Pru. If it’s okay with you can I be a pest and say a few words to the assembled masses?”

Pru: “ We’ve all been looking forward to seeing and hearing from you Chris. Please, carry on, feel free.” His expression changed and suddenly he looked serious and held her elbow.

Chris: “ Please Pru. I’ve seen my guys in CWN looking to me as some kind of saviour. I’m not. I’m just someone with a lot of resource who can help. But that’s all. I have no magic bullet, as much as I know it’s what we’re all looking for. Sorry.” He could see Pru’s expression , she couldn’t disguise the disappointment.

Pru: “Of course Chris. Whatever you want.”

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:12 pm

Whatever you want, whatever you need ...

936trt
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by 936trt » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:35 pm

Dagmar realised that Chris was nervous and agitated, which was unusual for him, especially with friends and acquaintances. She noticed Pru trying to attract her attention.

Dagmar: “ What’s wrong Pru?”

Pru: “ I’ve never seen him like this, ever. I’m sure something is wrong.” Kenny Brown had walked up behind them as they were talking and Chris moved toward the microphone.” Kenny ,what’s going on, is there something we don’t know?”

Kenny: “ I know Carla telephoned .There were reports that police were called to the Atacama site but theere's also also something about the care home where his mother was resident.”

Pru: “ Surely Carla knows Chris wouldn’t be party to anything illegal?”

Kenny: “ Yes, but Chris isn’t there to defend himself. This letter from the care home seems to be weighing heavily at the moment.”

Dagmar: “ You said letter, not email?”

Kenny:” Yes and that has raised a few eyebrows.”

Chris stood in front of his audience as he referred to them. Most were seated, a few were still standing.

Chris: “ I’ll come straight to the point. I’m here because this is what we do for each other. I’m luckier than most because through an accident of birth I have a resource we can draw on in times of need. As I see it we have two threats. Some of us have been at the rough end of personal attacks but we are all facing a larger threat which targets us professionally and existentially. We can tackle both. Kenny and his colleagues will explain to all of you individually how they can tailor security techniques to your personal and familial circumstances. This will include checking home security, reviewing your day to day routines and comms, that is ‘phones, computers, vehicles and so on. It will take some time. There has been a recommendation, you may wish to consider .I’m saying re location, although extreme, is an option with a big up side. Think about it and talk to members of Kenny’s team at any time. Yes Sarah you have a question?”

Sarah:” I take it your focus here, on these premises is based on Amesec and staff as targets?”

Chris: “ Yes.”

Sarah: “ I raise this only in view of Hilary’s comments about personal threats, including your own.”

Chris: “ I’m coming to that. Although I have no communication from FCO it’s pertinent. By now everyone is au fait with my background, specifically my connection to the Stille family through my mother Christa. It has always been a double edged sword but recent events have forced us to re evaluate our position at CWN toward the Stille organisation. The larger threat we perceive increasingly as directly or indirectly from China. The recent events I mentioned relate to what appears to be a divergence ,that is the two are not acting together.”

Sarah:” Are you saying Barbara Hunt is not an agent of the Stille’s?”

Chris: “ Your intel about the Nikki Myles story puts Barbara Hunt front and centre . Wyman’s friend Juan Gomez also connects her and Alistair Fraser to marine trafficking in the Caribbean, and we mustn’t forget the attacks with the toxin. Poisoning Chrissy in hospital was a big personal risk, it begs the question is she on an ego trip ,has she fallen out with the Stille’s or was she never really aligned just taking advantage as she did when working for Amesec,and later as my fiancée ?”

There was buzzing sound from the video link and Barry advised that Tatiana wanted to address the meeting.

Tatiana: “ I have been following the proceedings with great interest and would like to add that in my opinion she has always had her own agenda. The newspaper article in Havana is aimed specifically at your group ,I doubt the Stille’s would have even bothered.”

Pru: “ Thank you Tatiana. Can I ask you Chris if this has any connection to the snail mail you received from the care home?”

Chris: “Good point Pru. Yes ,there is. The care home has a Swiss financial advisor .Once before while my mother was alive, they told me someone tried to access her details through their IT system .I had always assumed the Stille family were monitoring this part of her estate but discovered that she had a bank account and a small associated company outwith their influence. Only Barbara would be aware of this .Draw your own conclusions.”

Dagmar: “ I don’t remember Christa saying anything about this at any time .She made a point of being financially independent after you were born. I guess things would have been a lot easier if she’d had financial support from the Stille family.”

Chris: “I was told such support was withheld until she was divorced.”

Pru: “So what is the significance of the snail mail?”

Chris: “Someone has found out my mother has a safety deposit account at the Swiss bank and have tried to access it through the care home.”

Pru: “ You think this is the work of miss Hunt?”

Chris: “ We do but accidentally we've discovered that a long ,long time ago a third party began making deposits to this account, quite separate from the Stille’s.”

Pru: “ You’re smiling ,you know who it is, or was?”

Chris:” I do. It was Hans Ulrich.”

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:35 pm

Ulrich ?! He must have been on a tea break ! :lol:

936trt
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by 936trt » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:21 pm

After Chris and his party had left for the airport Barry was talking to Oz and Nev.

Barry: “ Well I don’t know about you but this business with Ulrich is a turn up for the book?”

Neville: “ Mind, Christa was always a bonny lass.”

Oz: “ Ulrich obviously fancied his chances.”

Barry: “ I think he had longer term plans Oz. I reckon he wanted to be there for her after Wayne had moved on. He was making sure she would be taken care of, independent of the Stille family.”

Neville: “ That about sounds right Barry, he had her welfare at heart and he would know the cockney’s reputation . I wonder what else is in this safety deposit box?”

Barry: “ Apparently Chris has got Detlef on the case.” They were all nodding, and then Oz spoke.

Oz: “ How’s Tatiana these days Barry?”

Barry: “ I haven’t a clue Nev, she doesn’t keep in touch, in fact I heard more from Sara Victoria when I rang the other day to set up the video link. Maybe it’s for the best you know , life moves on.”

Oz: “ Aye and I hear Anglo Australian relations are on the up.”

Barry: “ For heavens sake Oz, just give it a rest.”

Pru is talking to Dagmar.

Pru: “ It seems so obvious to me . It’s unrequited love. She must have known he fancied her?”

Dagmar: “ She was a pretty girl and very sociable .At work we were in the same office for a lot of the time, many men showed interest in her , and I’m sure she must have noticed how protective Ulrich was toward her.”

Pru: “ It’s so sad, I wonder why he didn’t make a move after the divorce?”

Dagmar: “I don’t know. I think she would have liked the attention. I know she was lonely, we used to meet regularly, then one day she stopped visiting and we never saw her again. I thought maybe it was a family thing?”

Pru: “ Well ,it’s all history now.”

Later Dennis is chatting with Dagmar.

Dennis: “ Did you hear what Nev said this morning about moving?”

Dagmar: “ Not really ,I did hear Pru say that she preferred a warm climate, that’s all.”

Dennis: “ Well they’re talking about it pet.” Dagmar looked up to see Dennis had a worried look.

Dagmar: “ Dennis are you trying to tell me something?”

Dennis: “Well what do you think pet. We’ve been here a few years, the climate’s fine?”

Dagmar: “So does that mean you don’t want to move?”

Dennis: “ Nev’ll be thinking about the twins and Oz ,well they’ve got one on the way.”

Dagmar: “ You think they would relocate to protect their children?”

Dennis: “Do you know where they’re suggesting we relocate?”

Dagmar: “ I don’t but I’m guessing that you do?”

Detlef had made his way to the Pflegeheim near the Swiss border, his meeting with the manager pre arranged by Chris.

Detlef: Good morning Herr Vogel. Thank you for seeing me so promptly. I believe you are aware Mr Norris, Christian would have been here in person but urgent business in South America means he couldn’t be here until next week. However, in the meantime he asks for your help with this matter.”

Vogel: “ I’m more than happy to help in any way I can.”

Detlef: “ You told Christian that there had been an attempt to hack into his late mothers account and it was foiled by the bank?”

Vogel: “ Indeed, in fact they were instrumental in helping to update our security here at the care home as well. Perhaps you could tell me what are Mr Norris’ plans for his late mothers estate?”

Detlef: “ I’m not sure I understand herr Vogel. Her wishes regarding the care home were made clear in her will?”

Vogel: “ That is true ,I’m referring to Mr Ulrich’s comments at the time about her commercial interests and I assumed that today’s visit, is related to the safety deposit at the bank?” Detlef kept his expression neutral.

Detlef: “ Indeed and I hope to discuss this when I visit the bank later. You were explaining about the previous attempt?”

Vogel: “ Sorry, yes I was on duty that day .We took a telephone call ,an enquiry about Christa and we assumed the caller was unaware of her passing.”

Detlef: “ You advised the bank the caller was a woman?”

Vogel: “ Yes.”

Detlef: “Did she give you her name or identify herself in any way?”

Vogel: “No ,and our policy is clear no information is given under these circumstances. The caller was not a family member.”

After a successful meeting at the bank Detlef is waiting on his return flight. He gives Chris a call .

Detlef: “Hi Chris .I have a few minutes to tell you the box contains the deeds to a property and land in Argentina, place called Isla Victoria, and details of a company of which Christa was a director. We will need to investigate further. We were correct about the hacking, it was the same person behind the newspaper article. Oh , Ulrich had visited the care home, I think the manager knew about the deeds, they were not mentioned in her will.”

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:48 am

A turnip for the book ! :geek:

936trt
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by 936trt » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:00 pm

On their journey back to South America Chris noted Wyman was less talkative than usual. As they approached San Pedro he decided to raise the subject.

Chris: “ I have to say Wyman you have been somewhat withdrawn since we were in Spain?” Wyman lifted his head from his laptop . He studied Chris’s face.

Wyman:” You know I spent a lot of time with those guys. I’ve seen them change over the years from the team who put the bridge up in Arizona, to where they are now. I know they’ve changed, we all have, but this business has knocked the stuffing out of them.”

Chris :” You as well?” Wyman was studying his face again.

Wyman: “I’ve been asking myself the same question since we left. You know that now and then we all stand up ,look around and wonder how we got to this point in our lives?”

Chris: “And now is one of those moments?”

Wyman: “I think it is. It also made me think about Chrissy and the fact she didn’t deserve to die like that, and then what have I been doing?”

Chris: “You’ve been around a lot since then, and now the Atacama?”

Wyman: “True and it’s fine but I remember a different kind of life and friendship when I was with the lads, and I’d forgotten that until now. But, that was then and this is now and it’s fine as well.”

Chris: “You know we still have a problem and it still needs our attention, right now.”

Wyman: “ Aye .I have to say that was a nice touch framing us for murder and mayhem.”

Chris: “ Well ,we’ll soon see how our guys on the ground are affected, if at all. I’m pretty sure Pablo wouldn’t fall for the propaganda.”

Wyman: “ Carla is not the type to exaggerate though is she?”

Chris: “Only when she is describing the ring you gave Maureen?”

Wyman: “Merely a token of my affection.”

Chris: “ You know what Oz would say?”

Wyman: “ Yes. Bollocks. Anyway this message from Detlef about what he found?”

Chris: “ So, I asked Cal to see if there was anything in Argentina law that might shed light. It seems very strange our solicitors didn’t say anything about any of this at the time of Christa’s passing.”

Wyman: “ Is it possible she never knew about it?” Chris was staring into space.

Chris: “ If Ulrich kept the deposit account a secret all these years then why not, it’s possible.”

Wyman: “ Ok so if it is in someone’s interest to conceal ownership then it must be important, it is where the Stille’s have their meetings. Looking at a map it’s not too far away from the uranium mines, either.”

Oz is chatting with Dennis.

Oz: “ So what did Moxey actually say about the idea?” Dennis shook his fists in the air and shouted.

Dennis:” I’ve just explained Oz, are ye deaf or daft or both?”

Oz: “ Hey lad, don’t get snotty with me just ‘cos you don’t understand chemistry!”

Dennis: “ Ok I’ll go through it again. First of all it’s Moxey’s idea . He found out the aloe farms had been abandoned ,in Jamaica y’kna?”

Oz:” Hey , less of the sarky stuff.”

Dennis: “He asked around . He had gone just to have a look y’kna nostalgia like. So, he was told that nowt would grow, in fact the whole place was a like ghost town. Moxey remembered when we started the rare earth gig someone told him the reason the aloes didn’t grow by the spoil heaps was because some chemical had leached out.”

Oz: “ Is that it?”

Dennis:” Shut up and listen Oz. It’s the stuff that poisoned the aloes that we’re after. Moxey remembered something Wyman had told him he’d picked up when he was working in the Bakken shale.”

Oz: “ I hope it wasn’t anything infectious.” Oz laughed. Dennis was not amused.

Dennis: “ Oz if you’re really not interested I’ll save my breath.” He got up to go .

Oz: “ All reet, all reet go on.”

Dennis: “ Ok ,long story short. The stuff that’s killing the aloes is worth a fortune because it’s so difficult to find, but they’ve come up with a way to extract it.”

Dennis is talking to Neville.

Neville: “I can’t believe you Dennis. I wouldn’t touch this with a barge pole. It’s lunacy ,you’ll never get permission ,you’ll poison all that part of Jamaica. Imagine if Greenpeace find out!”

Dennis: “We know there’s a problem. That’s why the aloes are dead or dying. We’re cleaning up the problem!”

Neville: “ And creating another greater problem I reckon. Sorry Den I’m steering well clear of this .”

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:35 pm

Oh dear, Nev's got his carbon footprint up his ass ! :oops:

936trt
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by 936trt » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:25 pm

Wyman is having a telephone conversation with Chris.

Wyman: “So Chris, I had a call from Jamaica and I’m guessing you’ve heard from Cal?”

Chris: “Yes. He brought me up to speed with developments at the site that Moxey identified. I take it you’re on your way there?”

Wyman: “Well yes and no. I’m going via Phoenix . I need to talk with Maureen and then on to the Chocanaw reservation. I’ll explain later.”

Chris: “ Wyman, I’m your brother, you don’t need to explain anything. Just keep me posted when you can kiddo.”

Wyman has contacted Maureen as promised.

Wyman: “ Hiyah pet ,I’ve arrived ,have you a few minutes for a weary traveller?”

Maureen: “Can I buy you lunch?”

Wyman: “ Couldn’t refuse an offer like that.Pick you up?”

Maureen: “Yes please. I know you haven’t been before, it’s on the corner of seventh and Deer Valley road.”

As Wyman walked toward the entrance he couldn’t miss the sign near the carpark, a giant fingerprint. Then he heard Maureen shouting.

Maureen: “ Hi Wyman, how are you?”

Wyman: “ I’m fine ,you came out to meet me, am I not allowed inside?”

Maureen: “It is a bit of a hassle ,in fact you’ll have to do it the next time when I’m not on such a tight schedule. Let’s get something to eat and I’ll explain.”

Some fifteen minutes later Maureen has a burger and Wyman has a coffee.

Wyman: “So now your urge has been satiated what’s the story?”

Maureen: “Word came in this morning there’s been more trouble at the Atacama site ,don’t panic John’s on it. He thinks it related to your new offices being built.” Wyman was beginning to look agitated.” Please Wy ,let me finish.” She put her hand on his , he relaxed and smiled.

Wyman:” Sorry, these last few days have been weird.” She looked puzzled but Wyman shook his head .” I’ll try to explain later ,please just carry on with your news.”

Maureen: “ Ok ,well our friends the local Aymara told Pablo they had seen the people who committed the violence and they know it wasn’t you or Chris. So they decided to deal with it themselves. Successfully as it turns out. Our orientals did not expect it and word is questions are being asked back in Beijing. Anyway what’s been going on with you?” Wyman looked at her ,wiping some ketchup off her chin with his paper napkin.

Wyman: “ I’ll know more after I’ve been to the reservation. We check in with Chip Saugus every now and then. We have an interest in the casino as part of our original deal with his father, Joe. It’s a good reason to go and catch up. The last few times it’s been down to me.”

Maureen: “Any other reason for you to visit?” Wyman was frowning until the penny dropped.

Wyman:” I still have friends there ,relations of Mel’s, and I usually call in on Charlie their medicine man.” He looked at her.” Is everything ok with us?”

Maureen: “ You know I had to explain about my relationship with you and, well the next time you come out here I’ll introduce you. If that’s fine with you?”

Wyman: “ It’s a good sign ,it means we’re making progress. Right?”

Maureen: “I’m not complaining Wy, you know what I do for a living , and there will always be screening for staff.”

Wyman: “ Hey, I’m not complaining either, I’m just planning ahead, y’kna like Oz would say, so I can have my evil way with you.” She laughed ,pointed her fore finger and crooked her thumb .

Wyman met with Chip in the Te Pee coffee bar as they had done before.

Chip: “I am happy to see you Wy man, you are in good health?”

Wyman: “ As ever Chip ,and yourself, you look a little tired?”

Chip: “Now I understand how my father must have felt. We are very busy with a new school and an extension to the hospital.”

Wyman: “ So things are good for you?”

Chip: “ Yes.This is the second year we have full employment and some young ones have returned as graduates instead of moving away for work. The tribe have much to thank my father for and his friends who made this possible.” He inclined his head to the transporter bridge outside.

Wyman: “ I remember it like it was yesterday Chip.”

Chip: “ You’ll be going to see Charlie?”

Wyman: “If it’s ok with you I’d like to go now?”

Chip: “ It’s fine Wy man. I’ve arranged your room at the Sonora lodges. Call in to see me before you leave old friend.”

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:40 pm

Te Pee coffee bar ? Can you get a cuppa and a bun ? OP

936trt
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by 936trt » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:11 pm

Oz is talking with Barry.

Oz: “ So you heard about this plan of Moxey’s?”

Barry: “Yes, Dennis ran it by me yesterday .From what John Martinez says it’s a no brainer. Wyman had heard about the idea of using something in soil to get rid of contaminants when he was working in the shale business. But why are you asking me about it?”

Oz: “ Just to get your take on it kiddah. As you might expect Nev has seen the downside, thousands of bloody tree huggers crawling all over the site, populist press, BBC, the Grundia, that’s all we need.”

Barry: “ Oz, I’m sure Nev is wrong, there is a huge push at the moment politically and commercially to make sure there is a reliable alternative supply of these materials and get out of the virtual monopoly by China. I’ll email him the reports I’ve read about using bacteria to remove contaminants, they call them geobacters and they can use them for all sorts of radioactive stuff.”

Oz: “ I’m sure it’ll sound better coming from you.”

Barry: “Isn’t this what Wyman would have told him?”

Oz: “ I’m sure it was kiddah but you know, I switch off when I hear heavy metal. The only heavy metal I really know about is a group I heard at Newcastle City hall back in the day. Anyway it seems too good a chance to miss, Moxey and Wyman are both out there now .”

Barry: “Are you going to join them ,is that what you’re trying to tell me Oz?”

Oz: “I don’t know if I should Barry. I would feel guilty about leaving Sarah. I know her diabetes is under control and she’s only four months, but.”

Barry: “ You know Oz ,maybe Nev’s worried about leaving Pru with the twins?”

Wyman was looking out across the Crow river. The view was just as he remembered , it was a comforting sight , the feeling surprised him. He recalled how painful it had been revisiting after losing Mel and Mai and now it was less so. He left the truck at the Sonora lodges and made his way to what he thought was Charlie’s shack. There was no mistake , his tv was playing very loudly but no sign of the old guy. Wyman heard a noise from the rear of the building and a familiar figure appeared, Charlie with a spanner in his hand.

Charlie: “ You on holiday?”

Wyman: “No . I came to see you. Are you well?”

Charlie: “ You a frequent flier, I hear you get free flights?”

Wyman: “ Not that frequent .You still watching Lucille Ball?” Charlie looked him up and down.

Charlie: “ You know I’m a hundred and ten years old ,I’ve seen more tv than you. You going up there?” He inclined his head in the direction of the sweat lodge.” The big guy with the beard was there with Joe last week.” He turned abruptly and went back and sat down in front of the tv. Wyman shook his head and thought that nothing much changes with Charlie. He went back to the lodges and decided to shower and have a coffee .

After about an hour he walked down to the sweat lodge to find it occupied. Charlie was seated and poured water on the stones as Wyman entered.

Charlie: “Welcome Wy man, sit there. There is much to see .You have not been here for a while but your spirit guide is patient.” He poured more water on the stones Wyman had to remove his shirt it was stifling. He recalled his previous visit as he began to relax , wondering then if Charlie had put something in the water, he was feeling light headed. Someone came in and sat next to him. Bomber.

Bomber: “ Long time no see young’un, you look ok.”

Wyman: “ You never look any different Bomber. Charlie tells me you’re a patient guy?” He laughed.

Bomber: “ I don’t have an option half pint, but it’s you we should be talkin’ about. Now I knows you’re not short of work and now there’s this other gig with Moxey and Dennis. That’s good for everyone. Talk to Oz he’s worried. What’s the story with this lass from the FBI, get a move on, you owes it to yourself? Anyway pull your finger out I’ve got things to do. See you young’un.” And he was gone. Charlie poured more water on the stones.

Charlie: “ Mel’s not coming today, she says don’t live in the past, do what Bomber tells you.”

Wyman felt pleased, and happy not to have a headache, just a bit tired. He picked up his shirt, waved goodbye to Charlie and made his way back to his lodge at the Sonora.

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:26 am

Wyman really must stop smoking geobacters and talking to ghosts !

936trt
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by 936trt » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:20 pm

Detlef is bringing Chris up to date with the investigation of Christa’s account.

Detlef: “There is definitely a connection with the branch in Berne and a number of those accounts discovered in Buenos Aires recently.”

Chris: “Does this take us any further forward Detlef?”

Detlef: “Honestly I’m not sure. I’m just pursuing it like I would any lead ,just as you asked.”

Chris: “ This is not a criticism bro.” He looked closely at Detlef. ”Is everything ok with you ,you look a little tense?”

Detlef: “ Sorry Chris I’m having some bother with Debbie at present. She’s struggling with logistics at her business at the moment.”

Chris: “ Anything I can do?”

Detlef: “ I said I wouldn’t ask you because Debbie's concerned we’ve had such a lot of help from you that we may have been to the well too many times already.”

Chris: “ You know what your dad would say?”

Detlef:” Yes .Bollocks.”

Chris : “ Tell me, what’s wrong?”

Detlef: “ I thought I could resolve it, but no matter how many times I talk to our local police nothing changes. Goods have disappeared in transit to and from the warehouse. Some are delivered to the wrong address, raw materials fail to turn up at the manufacturers or part missing or damaged on arrival.”

Chris: “ Why didn’t you tell me before. I’ll get Kenny to look at it. Tell me do you think this is all part of the global anti us campaign?”

Detlef: “ Yes, but I thought this bit would be easy to fix. I monitored goods in and out and caught a couple of guys but they knew nothing apart from where they picked up their pay.”

Chris: “ Debbie’s ok though?”

Detlef: “As well as can be expected, but no direct threat if that’s what you mean. Anyway back to the original question, I’m waiting word from a contact in Buenos Aires .He’s indirectly connected to Solly’s people and may know more about the Swiss operation.”

Barry has called into Dagmar’s office during his visit to Amesec.

Barry: “ I’d like to have a chat with Anna if it’s convenient Dagmar, It’s not time sensitive, I have an hour before making tracks for Barcelona?”

Dagmar: “ I have to say Barry she has not been her usual cheery self .Is there a problem?”

Barry: “She was upset her mother didn’t make contact during Chris’s visit. The video conference was set up ,there was opportunity ,it wouldn’t have been difficult.”

Dagmar: “That doesn’t sound like Anna. There’s nothing else you know of?” Barry shook his head and made his way to Anna’s workstation.

He could see she had been crying , her eyes were still red. He leaned over to her .

Barry: “ Whatever is the matter my little pet lamb?” Anna had looked up as Barry approached and immediately burst into tears. Barry put his arms around her, she broke down sobbing and crying. Dagmar came hurrying through at the sounds from the little office.

Dagmar: “ Is there anything I can do Barry?”

Barry: “I don’t know , I can’t get anything out of her right now.” Eventually Anna settled down enough to speak coherently when the whole sorry tale emerged. She was the victim of online trolls from a particular web site. It had begun with the betrayal of a confidence by an online friend and in short order details of her mother’s indiscretions were made public. With several embellishments ,and including some comments about her father, the post had gone viral.

Anna: “ What can I do dad, it’s all my fault?”

Barry: “Don’t worry pet it’s not your fault ,I’ll sort it out. These lowlifes can’t live without the oxygen from the site and I can fix that.” True to his word Barry called in some favours and in a few hours the post was taken down and a number of trolls found they no longer had an online presence.

Later that day, Barry’s Barcelona visit postponed, they were relaxing at Dagmar’s . Anna, now more like her old self was desperate to know how Barry had it seemed, achieved the impossible.

Barry: “ I can’t take credit ,it was down to a very happy customer of Fantasy Films . He is an avid western fan who we filmed in his role as the dedicated sheriff saving an ungrateful town from the bad guys.”

Dagmar : “ I think I know that film!”

Barry: “ Anyway this chap is also something big in cyberspace.”

Dennis:” And does he live on the west coast?”

Barry: “ I believe he does. Not only did he help with Anna’s problem but according to Chris’s IT experts, there is detail in the content that could only be known to a very small circle. It points to Barbara Hunt’s involvement at some level.

Dennis: “So Anna’s lap top wasn’t included in the sweep made by Kenny Browns lads?”

Barry: “ No and I guess I’m as much to blame for that .We never gave it a moments’ thought. Really what normal person would target youngsters in this way?”