Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

the Special

Which is your favourite series and why?

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

HerrPfister
Gaffer
Gaffer

the Special

Post by HerrPfister » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:25 am

I can put it off no longer. Having worked my way through all 4 series over the last few month, I'm going to tie things up by giving the special another go. Haven't watched it since it aired, really didn't like it, but with the passage of time (nearly a decade! Seriously?!?), and with lower expectations, perhaps I'll find something in it to appreciate.

So, is there anyone out there who wants to defend the Special? Any advice you can give me that might enhance my enjoyment? I won't be watching it 'til toneet, so plenty of time to get your answers in!

Ta-ra for a bit.

Breaking Away
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Re: the Special

Post by Breaking Away » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:01 am

Fast forward past the Australian bit. That helps...

HerrPfister
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by HerrPfister » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:01 am

Breaking Away wrote:Fast forward past the Australian bit. That helps...
Wish I had, it's bloody terrible that. Held off though, wanted to experience it in it's entirety...

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:37 am

Nice bit of telly that, I enjoyed it. It was silly [ very Blackhawk down ] funny [ Oz getting ass blown off ] sad [ the lads is over ] tragic [ Bombers Away ] and everything I could ask from a goodbye piece. Im more happy to watch that than Series 3 !
Be interested to see what ya thoughts are . Barry bouncing on the Moonhopper, magic !

HerrPfister
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by HerrPfister » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:07 am

Well, I didn't enjoy pt.1 much. Just seems a bit drab. Of all the 'villains' of the previous series, to have Tarquin the bland show up seemed a bit pointless. Imagine Jeffrey Grainger rearing his ugly head or, even better; Ally Fraser suddenly strolling down the carriage of the Orient Express. How much better would that have been?!?

But, hopefully pt.2 will be better, which I shall watch tomorrow, or sonetime in the next few days...

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:37 am

Get it ova with son, then ya can get back to the real Bollocks, "Dearest Brenda ..."

BarryTaylor
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by BarryTaylor » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:05 am

HerrPfister wrote: Ally Fraser suddenly strolling down the carriage of the Orient Express. How much better would that have been?!?
Now theres an idea!

"Barry son, let me kidnap ya so I can get ma £25k back off Dennis" :D
Ben Adams

Midlands based Fan.
Drives an "automatic Metro"....

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:18 am

like the way that you mention Ally Fraser being on the orient express, its a shame that all previous classic series characters weren't mentioned much or seen again, apart from the Spanish copper who turned up as Ofelias dad!
OP

HerrPfister
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by HerrPfister » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:28 pm

AWP Corsa Tim wrote:like the way that you mention Ally Fraser being on the orient express, its a shame that all previous classic series characters weren't mentioned much or seen again, apart from the Spanish copper who turned up as Ofelias dad!
"I go house to house, & end up in bloody Cuba!"

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:40 pm

"Not in the pool ?!"

HerrPfister
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by HerrPfister » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:45 am

Well, there is no doubt in my mind - pt.2 is so much better than pt.1; I actually enjoyed it. Probably helped by a couple of bottles of Singha (I adopt the Barry approach of drinking whatever brew seems appropriate to the series I'm watching). There were some good lines there, some nice laughs & a bustin' ending! And, as Tracy said, Barry on the moon-hopper was top of the bill...

Think I'll catch up with the Likely Lads over the next 3 week, & then on 11.11 start the Pet cycle again.

'Dearest Brenda...'

:D

Fitzherbert
Plasterer
Plasterer

Post by Fitzherbert » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:48 pm

The special coined - for me - one of the all time one liners from all the series, surprisingly from Moxey

"No arse and shrapnel jokes like?"
Awwww! me toast!

Fitzherbert
Plasterer
Plasterer

Post by Fitzherbert » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:31 pm

HerrPfister wrote:Well, there is no doubt in my mind - pt.2 is so much better than pt.1; I actually enjoyed it. Probably helped by a couple of bottles of Singha (I adopt the Barry approach of drinking whatever brew seems appropriate to the series I'm watching). There were some good lines there, some nice laughs & a bustin' ending! And, as Tracy said, Barry on the moon-hopper was top of the bill...

Think I'll catch up with the Likely Lads over the next 3 week, & then on 11.11 start the Pet cycle again.

'Dearest Brenda...'

:D
Yep, let's get the crisps and scotch eggs out!
Awwww! me toast!

ruggedscot
Electrician
Electrician

Post by ruggedscot » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:12 am

Always thought the special was a good effort - it brought much of th previous series together and well wrapped it all up..... It never ended the series but it gave the start of a possible revival - going back to Germany - start where it began all those years ago. That was magic - not an ending but a possible beginning. The series was always about Dennis Oz and Neville the others came in and padded it out - three in the hut would have been boring.

Another series ? Why not ? Tim Healy made it known he was interested - so maybe we will see another outing with them back in Germany. Its a different place this world lot has gone on in 30 years or so - and Germany still has plenty of scope for a few stories to be told.... Bring it on and make it happen as they say.

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:37 pm

HERE HERE!!! A return to Germany would be good..
OP