Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

New/Old Barley Mow pictures 1986

Do you know of a Location we don't have?

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Stuff On The Site.

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:21 pm

You can also see that the Door is not there or doesn't line up like it does in the shot from Gary today to onscreen, although I cannot be 100% sure, so I didn't include that....see what you think...

Plus other things speak volumes too, drinks optics, wood trim above bar...I think this picture finally 'Nails' it...pun intended!

Real Pub

TV Pub

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:25 pm

It's good to have more original pub pics to compare it too.. might have to phone the place again and see if this chest of AWP goodies is possible to view..
OP

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:30 pm

AWP Notts wrote:
RHill wrote:I still can't believe that barman lied to me when I visited the place. I bet he thought I was a right gullible tossa when I was walking around the bar smiling with my pint and taking photos.

what exactly did the chap say?? Was he a Blonde haired grumpy looker?? Because he lives above the pub..
The chap said "You're sitting on my stool!" Nah just joking. He told me that they have raised the floor in recent years so the ceiling will be lower to make it look like an old traditional pub and I said: "Really, that's fascinating, it looks lovely". Looking back, he must of thought I was a thick dopey geordie.

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:33 pm

What did he look like, Tim? He looked like a young blonde slim male student with short hair. You can see him on my location video standing behind the bar.

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:35 pm

I shall have a gander.. Its only the grumpy one i ever see.. he did give me a free drink though last time i went.. i was shocked to say the least..
OP

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:36 pm

Why did I say 'male'? My sentence started off with the word 'He'. Christ I am thick.

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:37 pm

Yes he appeared quite miserable. I remember this because when I went to visit the toilet, I remember saying out loud to myself: "Miserable get"

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New/Old Barley Mow pictures 1986

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:01 pm

Did you shout...."Just gowing for a piss!..." ?

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:19 pm

Haha imagine his face if I did.

dan slider
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by dan slider » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:16 pm

Also the front of the bar is different.
Another thing, i always assumed it was a samuel smiths pub back then. But the Windmill sign from the photos taken suggest otherwise.
Samuel Smiths signs always had and still have Samuel Smiths under or above the name of the pub.
Hey thats a canny jumper man!

poxeymoxey
Plumber
Plumber

Post by poxeymoxey » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:21 pm

My first post on here. Can't believe the amount of interest these photos have created. When I first contacted Lee I didn't think he would be that bothered about them, but I am overwhelmed by the positive feedback as they have very happy memories for me. Just wish there had been digital cameras in those days as there would have been loads more!!

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:39 pm

Thanks for sending them.. its brilliant to see the places so soon after filming finished.. Memories and AWP heritage! ;)
OP

poxeymoxey
Plumber
Plumber

Post by poxeymoxey » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:28 am

Thought I would give just a little background information on the photos. I still love the show but back then it was bordering on the obsessive! I wrote to Central TV in Nottingham as soon as the series finished. Yes, wrote as this was before emails and the internet. Unthinkable now. Anyway they were fairly quick letting me know where Thornley Manor and The Barley Mow were. We found the pub and as soon as we pulled up outside I felt like I was stepping into the programme itself. I half expected the lads to come walking out of the door. We went in and eventually got talking to the owner/landlady who ran the place. All I can remember of her was she was probably in her 30s with blonde hair. She had nothing but positive comments to make about the cast esoecially Gary Holton who she called a real gent. She said when they were filming the scene where Jimmy Nail is hanging out of bedroom window, that they had to retake it numerous times due to people playing jokes on him from inside the room. One more thing I remember is looking at the window that the lads had broke with the football and seeing it hadnt been repainted, and you could still see the putty! Anyway thats about as much background info I can remember. All lovely memories which have since come back since seeing the photos again.

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:00 am

They are great photos you've captured. You certainly visited the place at the best time when little had changed. And to hear the owner's anecdotes when it was all fresh in her mind back then must of been really fascinating.

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:30 pm

I tell you what would have been good, a picture of the window, new putty and unpainted, now that would have been fantastic!

I told Gary that I thought these were some of the best ever pictures I had received, 'and I am unanimous in that' (Mrs Slocombe - Are You Being Served, Big Fan :) )....brilliant!