Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

What does Auf Wiedersehen, Pet mean to you.

General chat about all things Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Re: What does Auf Wiedersehen, Pet mean to you.

Post by Tracy » Mon May 27, 2013 9:10 am

Whatdya mean how fatal ? Fatals fatal init !!!

HerrPfister
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by HerrPfister » Mon May 27, 2013 9:26 am

Well, er, we better get them in quick then. 2 more Pils here, Adolf.

Breaking Away
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Breaking Away » Mon May 27, 2013 10:03 pm

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet wrote:
Breaking Away wrote:Hello. My name is Breaking Away and I'm an aufaholic. I haven't watched an episode for 3 days now...
What! Better get one on quick!
Phew. Got 4 episodes in with my daughter yesterday.

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Mon May 27, 2013 10:28 pm

Big relief eh ?! I bet you feel like ya just passed a bowling ball !

AlreetPal
Legal Advisor
Legal Advisor

Post by AlreetPal » Tue May 28, 2013 2:49 pm

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet wrote:I don't want to get too emotional...

When I was about 11, Auf Wiedersehen, Pet came into my life.
It was about 1990, and TV was still quite good back then, but nothing like it is today. TV is now ruined, there is too many channels, too many docu soaps, and crap such as The Only Way is Essex. The sooner that shite goes off the TV the better, and make sure you take the rest of the bile with you!

Anyway, back to Auf Wiedersehen, Pet!
I think, no I know, 'Pet' is such a huge part of my life, and has made me make certain decisions, whether they were good or bad, I will never know. I know every episode like the back of my hand, and whenever I have a shitty day, even going through the motions of an episode in my head, can make me turn a corner.

Those 7 lads are my best mates, and even now watching, Barry in my life is always doing his house up at this present time. I might be a little bit mental, but that's how it is.

When I started this site, I never knew it would grow into what it is now, and never did I think we would be having a celebration of the show in its 30th year, organised by me, David Gardner a a few others.

We now have the largest collection of pictures, magazines and stories on the Forum, which I can say has never been as popular. It has only just been online over a year, and we have achieved a monumental pi...er, achievement.

This year will see the launch of Merchandise, the first one being for sale in early June!

'Pet is a massive part of my life now, but my family is a bigger part, just to clarify :D

We still have lots to do, and I hope as a group, we can do much more.

The next step is finding the original master tapes, and hunting down some missing/deleted scenes. Many believe they might be too knackered now, but until we find them, we won't know. I am already on it with ITV, and they have told me it will cost money to do this, but I know its what every fan wants, apart from a new series of course.

Lee

Where you mention about thinking of AWP when having a shitty, I'm just the same. I drive alot of miles for my work, and instead of listening to crap on the radio, I've got episodes of AWP playing from my iPad through the speakers in the van.
Shut ya yak will ya man, you snivelling little git.

We're sophisticated blokes us, ya know.

harryrfc
Brickie
Brickie

Post by harryrfc » Tue May 28, 2013 8:26 pm

Thank god it's not just me! For me awp is all about series one and two, and i'll watch them in order at least three times a year. I actually work out my shifts and know exactly when i'll be sitting down with a few glasses of red and awp on the dvd, preferably when the wife is in bed and I get peace to watch it! Even though I know whats coming I still get the thrill of anticipation when the title music starts, i usually manage three or four episodes and then trudge off to bed about three in the morning, tired but happy after my fix. :D

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Tue May 28, 2013 9:12 pm

3 or 4 episodes ! In one sitting like ? I hope you keep up with your AA meetings !!! [ Aufaholics Annonymouse ]

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Tue May 28, 2013 9:30 pm

Been a while that i wanted to get my post up here, finally here now though..

For me AWP is something (at first) i very vaguely remembered as a small kid, i just remember how the characters looked in the 80's and even more vaguely remembered that the program was surprising to me because it had the balls' to use the words like BOLLOCKS and Shite, and the like.. at the time in the early 80's my mum and dad were on and off with arguements and most the time we were in bed hearing them, and therefore didnt have much of a chance of seeing AWP, even if the channel was switched on to it.. but i always knew the name from the young age and after 86/87 it faded as my mum and dad had split up and life was crappy, so TV wasnt as much concentrated on.. i just remember it being a struggle.. and with that we made the most of the TV we could watch in the day.. i dont really remember seeing anything of series 2 as a kid, yet i always remember small pieces of series 1, the end credits always stuck with me for some reason with the shots of the different areas of the site in the background, and the music of course..

Years later in 98 i met a girl who i was with for 2 years or more.. and sometimes when staying over i had to stay in her brothers room who was always out at his mrs's at that time, his room was always empty at night, and on the shelf of videos he had both series 1 and 2 sat there.. as soon as i realised that, they were off the shelf and in the video! I would have to keep the volume down but as long as i could hear it i was happy.. a few times i watched the episodes through and through and never tired of them..

In more recent years since 2007/8-ish, i saw them again online and up for sale in the DVD format.. for some reason i just acknowledged that they were there and didnt buy them, then i would look online for info, at which point i came across Paul Armstrong's site, i couldnt believe that the second series took place mostly in Nottingham, and wondered why i had not caught on before.. i seem to remember questioning myself in 98 with the videos as to why some places looked familiar.. it was the years after continuing to view them on YouTube i then got them as a present one year for Christmas off the current mrs.. after refreshing my head with continious visits to paul's site pages i then looked for more info on the locations, then came across Richard Hills clips.. i was happy to see those.. As paul's site was then 'Dead' but still online i was glad to see that someone else had my interests, and it wasnt just me who remembered AWP!

The rest you know, when time allowed i would search for other locations and go to them if possible and make what you lot view now online..

But to answer the topic question.. What does Auf Wiedersehen, Pet mean to you?

It means to me... hmm.. it reminds me of times in the UK that were not so great, but at the same time like the lads, we seemed to just steadily plod on and get on with life, with the lads it was going abroad because they had little choice and wanted money to survive, with me it was a small and likeable (even at that age of 6/7) program that i remember hearing and seeing briefly that made me think that the people in it were like mum and dad, with having problems all the time, Dennis and Vera were extremely similar to my parents.. my dad is taller, but my mum looked slightly like vera.. and sometimes i would see my parents on the screen in a way..

When i watch it nowadays it just shows me classic characters, on a rough site earning their pay, and then returning home and realising that things are still bad and try and make the best of it.. same with my life, things have never been easy and when it comes to earning money and finding jobs its almost the same as some times i have had in my life.. as a program it has loads of Qualitie's i like with the characters not being stupidly limited with their language and the fact that some situations like many they get into do happen in life, and im sure ive legged it away from people that owned land we didnt know was private at the time in younger life.. the first two series were written to maximum levels compared to todays SHITE.. they really were.. we had all the program needed, problems, arguing couples, tidy boilers, villain types and upper types like Bosse's and even the snob types like in the AWP Derbyshire and all these things and types and classes of people have all somehow showed their presence in my life in ways.. With the 80's now being looked back on from a distance im glad i was around back then.. as with the first two series of AWP i can easily go back there at any time and enjoy the times the lads had then, by making the most out of the sometimes bad situations they were in.. the fact that Nottingham was involved is a bonus to me, because im still here in the city and can now remember fond memories of the episodes by only travelling a few miles in any direction.. Thank God Central moved when they did.. even if they had not moved im sure i would like it like i did the first series.. these episodes are just pure QUALITY!! Something that these days is not seen about much..

Tim
OP

Si
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Si » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:11 pm

I've been thinking about this thread every day since it was posted. And what I was going to post.

At work i've been thinking what Auf Pet means to me. I've been thinking about it when I've got home. In the shower. While cooking the tea. In bed before nodding off, etc.

It was going to be a bit of a tome, if I'm honest. In depth, honest and frank.

But then I realised: the words just weren't there. I just can't explain what Auf Wiedersehen, Pet means to me.

I guess that says it all.

poxeymoxey
Plumber
Plumber

Post by poxeymoxey » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:57 pm

When it was originally shown I was absolutely obsessed with it. I wrote to Central to ask where Thornley Manor and Barley Mow were, to visit obviously. I cried when I heard about Gary Holtons death. Yes, a man can cry and not ashamed to admit it. At the time, to me it was real life on the screen, I was so immersed in it. I physically wore out the video tapes of it. More recently still love watching it, it is like seeing old friends again. May sound soppy to some but I dont care. I will always think of AWP as the TV programme that changed my perception of TV, in that you CAN care about characters and their situations in a way that certainly wouldn't have had happened before. A benchmark to my life indeed!

Si
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Si » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:59 pm

I shed a tear when Pat Roach went. God bless him.

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:51 pm

Oh yes, when Dennis reads Bomber's farewell letter, I water up every time !

Pete M
Carpenter
Carpenter

Post by Pete M » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:16 pm

I have written this in a few posts in the past, but those lads have helped me through some of the hardest times of my life. Whether it be divorce, being evicted, sleeping on the floor, being skint, being jealous of the Mrs, earning great dough, being on the up, going down again, looking for work, spending my life in bars etc etc the lads have been through it all with me too. Might sound daft, especially as I am currently in the middle of a very very messy break up, but just half an episode is like therapy, an escape, but an escape that I can relate to. I remember the series (1 & 2) the first time around, and it reminds me of a simpler time, when weekends were about boozing and playing up, when a hangover only lasted an hour, and a hundred quid was a lot of money! These days are much like the early eighties in the way that there isn't much work about, what work there is is shite hours and pay, and the future is uncertain for us all.
I wish there was a way they could do another series, but for one, without Wayne and Bomber, the group would be strange, and as Den, Nev, and Oz are all around the sixty mark, it may be a bit too sad to see.
What was the question? What does AufPet mean to me? ESCAPE!!!

Wal-NUFC
Plumber
Plumber

Post by Wal-NUFC » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:07 pm

Tracy wrote:3 or 4 episodes ! In one sitting like ? I hope you keep up with your AA meetings !!! [ Aufaholics Annonymouse ]
did series 3 in one go only last week.

Wal-NUFC
Plumber
Plumber

Post by Wal-NUFC » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:09 pm

I learn one new thing about the UK everytime I watch one episode, something that was there but I didn't realise it.