Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

What does Auf Wiedersehen, Pet mean to you.

General chat about all things Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

ruggedscot
Electrician
Electrician

Re: What does Auf Wiedersehen, Pet mean to you.

Post by ruggedscot » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:29 pm

What does it mean ? A lot actually, would never bore of it - The series was and is superb - you guage a comedy by how it ages and you know auf pet has not aged. Porridge likely lads ? same not aged one bit.

The characters were great

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:22 am

If only many other programs could do the same.. another one i think of is Steptoe and Son.. just seems to have the same effect..
OP

peter gordino
Brickie
Brickie

Post by peter gordino » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:27 pm

awp means the world to me.when it first was shown i was 20 or so,just starting out really. .because of awp when i was 26ish went to work in europe on building sites for a while looking for sum adventure.great times they were. so i was about the same age as the lads when they were out there. i reckon tim healy would have been 27 ish when he started filming. there is not a day goes by where i dont mention something to do with awp. and its so great that there are people on this forum who feel the same. :D

ruggedscot
Electrician
Electrician

Post by ruggedscot » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:51 pm

Aye indeed - great program....

I saw an ad in the paper skilled trades - interview in Glasgow so went up for it and was offered the job. maintenance sparkie working over in Bosnia supporting the british army. Great money tax free and an allowance that we called beer money when in theatre. a hunderd or so deutschmarks in the pocket each month to tide us over with local expenses. Laundry and food provided free of charge.

Couldn’t buy a job like that lol. So it was out to Bosnia. Can remember getting the shuttle from Glasgow to Gatwick and then meeting up with a few of the others that I would be travelling out with. Some new and some returning after leave. Hit me there when sat in the bar, Went white as a sheet. Guy comes over and starts to make small talk. Was going over to Split to work for the same company. I bricked and said Id rather go back to Glasgow - he said to go over and try it - if it wasnt for me then just to say to one of the bosses and id be back in blighty within 24hrs.. What the heck Id given up me job here anyways and wanted to earn some money to bankroll my way to Canada. long story but had a girlfriend over there.

So on the place and up and over to Zagreb, then an interconnector to Split where we were met by some of the guys from the company at the airport. taken to our temporary accommodation where we would wait until we were taken up country to Banja Luka - waiting on one of the many flights that went there to have a few spare seats. A day or so later it was onto a Chinook and up to the Banja Luka metal factory.

Off the helicopter and meet some of the guys who worked at site. Get a room allocated and then unpack and have a walk around. Not such a bad place indeed good food and sky on the telly and a fridge filled with beer. Met a good bunch of guys from all over the UK, and we employed some local labour.

The work was sometimes hard stuck in the middle of no where and having to make do with what you had you learned to frig and make do. Stuck with a generator not working on a remote site you soon learn just the right amount of easy start to use. As for the waste treatment plant I found out that being hung over isn’t a great condition to be in when working in there. Waders on and trying to clear a blockage left me with an intense dislike of all plumbing.

Barbeques at the weekend and a Saturday with thumping music and plenty of coldies. Living the dream. Not touching the salary and just living off of the monthly bung. Happy days as they say. The female count was rather low but there was plenty of work to be doing and kept busy. As we were not military we could get off camp and down town - lively market and some good bars.

You met guys there that were getting away from money worries or away from wifes, Some were out to keep low for a bit - typical guys that work overseas chasing the money. Not a bad billeting at all. The locals were friendly and managed to strike up a few friendships and went to see their families off camp. Again beer and barbeques featured in there quite a bit.

Started in late 97 and worked through to latish 98 based out of Banja Luka – The job took us to some of the military bases around the area, the mountain site at Licena which involved a trek up a mountain in a landrover, and a few trips about to check and service other sites we looked after. Occasionally we would be able to bag a trip out with some of the other contractors – one popular trip to stock up on was to Zagreb to the American base – starbucks and the army shop where things were soooo cheap !
When these trips came up interest peaked.

After a while you found yourself doing things to try and keep fit and also for something different to do. Took up the gym and running and lost a bit of weight. Not bad. Mid tour break came where I went home for four weeks. Then it was back out and I found myself moved to a little town called sipovo. This had been affected by the war and quite badly damaged in places. The army had two camps here a higher and a lower camp and it was part of an old shoe factory. The army had turned it into the british field military hospital. Again I worked in maintenance looking after the electrics and all that involved. It was summer so temperature was high and it was quite a nice town to be in. Again a group of guys from all paces the Shetlands Wales Newcastle and Scotland.

This camp was different as it was more relaxed, not the head quarters of british ops – wed a bar and it was popular with the squaddies and we had many beers sat in our lounge. And we had something that was rare in theatre – A fully operational bath with hot water. If you had been working and showers were the only means for months a bath was a luxury that was sublime. Once installed it became very popular with all at camp. Lol.

The scrapes that you saw in series 1 of Auf, those were so similar to working on those camps

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:58 pm

Now thats a long but interesting read.. Which character are you most like?! :)
OP

ruggedscot
Electrician
Electrician

Post by ruggedscot » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:13 am

Probably a hybrid Barry / Neville ! is that possible ? lol

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:28 am

"aahhh, d d d dearest Brenda loike, we are now at sea roight. Who knows what lyes ahead ? A table tennis table ! That is my f f f fervant hope kid !"

DiventFret
Carpenter
Carpenter

Post by DiventFret » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:04 pm

There is not a SINGLE day that goes by that I do not watch an episode. I go to sleep to it every single night.

racesgirl2000
Boozer
Boozer

Post by racesgirl2000 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:44 pm

AWP Corsa Tim wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:58 pm
Which character are you most like?! :)
Barry 'cause I'm dead clever
Oi oi, what's the word then